Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 months ago

Is God responsible for suffering ?

NO but HE warned us of a time that will come that will cause great suffering's.

• Al

Despite what we think we know, God only created Perfect Love, and Love does not cast shadows, it cast out all darkness period, Suffering is a result of not knowing the power of the mind to create what we desire, this is talked about in a course in miracles, On some level, This world is a dream within a dream and is a collective experience of separation that isn't real, at some point, we will open our eyes and realize we created this world together and blamed God for it.

which god? humans have believed in thousands...

• Paul

No. There are three major causes of suffering - our own sins, the sins of others, and the laws of nature.

The Bible makes this quite clear. Those who attribute such things as murder and terrorism to God are maligning him. Note what Job 34:10 says: “Far be it from the true God to act wickedly, and the Almighty to act unjustly!”

No, Adam and Eve are responsible for our mortality and its attendant woes and suffering. The big problem is that so many people are so willing to add to it.

• John S

You are correct in so far as God created the Universe - there is suffering in the Universe, thus to a limited and rather shallow extent we COULD make the claim that God is responsible (even secondly) for suffering. 

It is like if I created a robot to perform a task and then at some point due to a malfunction - the robot hurts someone. Am I directly responsible for the person getting hurt? -- well  Yes & No. RIGHT? That wasn't my purpose, right?

So if we limit our thinking to simply: - God made Universe -- true

- Universe has suffering -- true

- Ergo, God made suffering -- not true

Then YES, but is that a particularly deep and honest understanding of the situation or is it a bit more complex than that?

I mean, using that logic couldn't I also conclude

- My sister hit me -- true

- My sister is a girl -- true

- Girls hurt me -- not true (not all at least)

And so with God - we need to ask: Is the current state of the Universe how God intended us to exist? Did he NOT originally create a paradise and give us a choice of whether or not we wanted to live in it, with him?

If so, who is to blame for the current state of affairs?

We forget that what God DID create was perfect - was Eden, a paradise. No suffering, no death, no thorns to poke us, no predators to prey on us. He created goodness. He even created our freewill, which was a good thing intended for us to use to freely choose to love him.

We rejected that version of the Universe.. of him, of Eden, of perfection. We misused the gift of freewill to not trust God, to not obey him, to not love him, to not live in paradise with him. 

So God, out of his love, furnished us with a World/Universe that directly reflected our choices and our rejection of perfection. He allowed us to exist in an imperfect Universe, basically of our OWN creation (through God respecting our choice).

So in a sense -- If we choose to blame God and not ourselves for the state of the Universe - then we should at least be honest and say: "Oh God... WHY did you RESPECT our choice when we rejected you and your plan and WHY did you create this Universe that reflects back to us, the brokenness and fragmentation of our relationship to you? -- WHY didn't you ignore our choices and FORCE upon us, your perfect plan. It would have been better for us if you hadn't loved us enough to respect our stupid choices. I wish you'd ignored us and let us remain in Eden."

You see...

Like a child, we often want to be in control and make our OWN choices - but we rarely really want the consequences of our actions. 

God was like: "trust me, listen to me, follow me, like the children of God that you are and everything will be perfect."

BUT WE WERE LIKE: "Nahhh... I'm good. I kinda wanna do things my own way, but still act like everything is fine. I wanna be able to do what I WANT, but still have all the benefits as-if I'm still following you."

Obviously, that approach didn't work out too good for us.

My son does the same thing all the time. 

ME: "Here are the rules and here are the consequences."

SON: "OK!" (Then he breaks the rule not once but multiple times)

ME: "here is the consequence of your actions"

SON: "WHAT! that is SOOO unfair. Yeah I did the thing you said not to, cause I wanted to, but I'm sorry NOW,(that I got caught) and don't want to suffer the consequence."

And the cycle repeats over and over again.

Good news is -- God promises to set EVERYTHING right in the end and to forgive us. So the brokenness, the suffering will eventually ALL be fixed. We just have to wait and trust. Remember -- he has a track record of following through -- we don't. So who do ya bet on? doubters or the faithful?

• Dr. D

Yes. Otherwise God would be irresponsible. 

Imagine you designed a bridge. It was a beautiful bridge, and everyone admired it. However when the wind blew, it all fell down. Who's fault was that? The designer failed to plan for the wind.God created the universe and the people in it. Everything God created was good. However the first time people are tempted they fall. Then the world is filled with suffering. Who's fault was that? Did the designer fail? Yes. If you believe that God is perfect and doesn't make errors, then you must believe that our pain and suffering has some eternal value before God. Perhaps heaven is a place without pain and suffering, and when we respond to pain and suffering with kindness and goodness, then we bring a valuable treasure to heaven that it cannot provide for itself.  

If your boyfriends bats you up, is God responsible for it

• yesmar

No, he's not, but despite that he took the responsibility to fix it upon himself.