Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 8 months ago

Reminding customers over and over again they have a late notice on bill?

I work in insurance. Our office, years ago, made the descision to call our customers if they are late on their bill, as a courtesy. It helps to prevent their policy from cancelling and it's extra customer service.

At first I was told, call them once. If you can't leave a voicemail, send and email. If they don't have email, and you cannot leave a voicemail, note that you called and leave it be.

Well I got scrutinized by my boss that I need to "do better" to make sure I get through to them that they have a late notice. As in, keep calling them, and eventually send them a letter.

First, I wasn't ever told I had to do this in the beginning. Second, these are GROWN adults who should know that their bills are due. Some of these people I have to call every month. I think calling, or emailing, once is enough. I do not have time to chase people down to tell them they are delinquent on their payments.

To me is equivalent to babysitting. The customers become too reliant on it. I don't mind calling once. But calling, emailing, sending letters, etc. I do not have time for that! My desk is almost always piled high with papers that are of higher importance than making sure grown people pay their bills on time...

Would anyone else be irritated by this? And why would my boss suddenly decide to be annoyed that I hadn't "tried harder" to get them, when it was her that told me in the beginning "call once and then leave it."?

I also know from experience.  I have been late on payments before. Most companies send out ONE courtesy notification. If any.  Not two, not three.  It's my fault, in the end, if I don't pay my bills on time.

bluebellbkk, I know why. Because someone I actually called, who didn't have a voicemail set up, finally came in because his policy canceled.  And it was "my fault" even though I DID call him. 

The thing is, if I attempt to call these people to let them know their policy will cancel if they don't pay.  Whether or not I am able to actually get ahold of them or not, how is their policy cancelling in any way "my" fault? That is the most infuriating part about this.  

• DON W

You are helping your boss show good "client retention" rates, meaning fewer policies had to be cancelled due to non-payment.  That makes the boss look good to his bosses and helps increase the profit.  It's a pain for you, but anything you do to make the boss look good usually is good for you (at least with a reasonable boss).

Yes, there's money to be made when they cancel a policy for non-payment (they keep the premiums already paid in, without having to pay out), but most insurance agencies would prefer to keep their clients, and the regular cash flow.

• Maxi

Doesn't matter what you think and clearly your instructions have changed.......... so do your job

• Erik

Just do what your boss tells you to do.  If it bothers you too much, quit.

• Judy

Maybe you should be working somewhere else. And if you continue with making YOUR priorities higher then your boss's, you will be.

You don't seem to understand your job or why you get paid. Its to DO AS YOU ARE TOLD.

If that is too much for you, QUIT.

When I was young and stupid, although not as stupid as you, I would occasionally not understand a thing here and there. When we both had a minute, I would ask why we did such and such this way and guess what? EVERY TIME it turns out there was a good reason. Its the same here. The boss is trying to retain customers and you want to just cancel every single person who is late. You're an idiot and he is the boss.

Geico lets me delay my payment for 2-3 days every 6 months and I almost always do it. I am still insured, they just let me do that because its helpful. And its automatic, there is a place to do it online. Never asked to not pay for a month.

yes.......................

• n2mama

Sounds like maybe this job isn’t a good fit for you. Yes, it is like babysitting grown adults, but your boss has determined that this is a key part of your job duties. If you don’t like it, are constantly annoyed by it and feel it’s a waste of your time, maybe you should look for a different type of job.

Well, 90% of the time, the customer knows. They just don't have the money. Maybe inform them of any pay arrangmemts that might be available

Yes, it's irritating, but if your boss has specifically asked you to do it, then you just DO it.

Did you ask her why she didn't want you to continue with the original system?