Question about removing aniline dye from wood.?

Anyone out there with an organic chemistry background? I have some old woodwork (about 119 yrs. old), that had been dyed with aniline dye. After removing several layers of paint this dye looks terrible. I've tried everything I can think of to bleach it out to no avail. I've used bleach, (sodium hypochlorite), ethyl alcohol, xylene, oxalic acid, and paint stripper containing methylene chloride. I can get it to dissolve easily but I can't get it out of the wood. What I need is some way to denature, i.e. "bleach" it so it is no longer there. It is a very deep red color and from what research I've done it may be 2-naphthol aniline. Any suggestion?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

    Your only hope is to expose the wood to high powered UV light (full spectrum) over a period of time in hopes of breaking down the dye to colorless species.

    • Log in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.