Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

Do you usually have ingredients to make homemade foods?

Stuff like butter, flour, nutmeg, vanilla extract, mustard powder, oregano etc.

How and when did you start to accumulate all of these ingredients?

I read recipes and it's always "no, no, no, no I don't have that either"

I don't want to buy all kinds of ingredients to use once and then leave it until it expires.

I always have ingredients to make home made food.  The only reason I can think of for not doing that is if you live in a place with no fridge and nothing to cook on.

• denise

I have most ingredients in the larder to have a go at most recipes,  if I'm short of something I use something similar where its possible / feasible.

• John

This is a couple of days old but why not.... I'll add that you only need to stock what you want and need to stock. I don't bake either do we don't keep baking powder or yeast. Flour is needed for all sorts of things. I don't need curry because we don't eat that food - OR the ingredients for curry.  You like spicy foods keep chile powders and/or dried chiles and cumin and what have you. You don't actually need a can of coconut milk in your cupboard if you don't intend to use it. Eventually it becomes, "I like to cook this way so I like to keep that ingredient handy."

I do not enjoy baking, so I seldom have ingredients to bake things.  Howesever, my pantry, fridge and freezer are full  of foods for me to make a gourmet meal at any time.  I love to cook, so ingredients in my kitchen never go bad or expire. This is common among people who enjoy cooking and entertaining, such as I do.

I usually have what I need. 

I read through the recipe first then decide if I want to make it, if I have to go to the store to buy things or if I can substitute what I have at home. 

Well yeah, it's just part of cooking. You need stuff to flavor your food. I just buy stuff as I need it I use salt pepper. Garlic and onion powder pretty much daily while other things like basil, parsley, dill weed, curry powder etc I maybe use twice a month. Since dried stuff doesnt go bad for a very long time it wont go bad my the next time you need to use it. Things like butter or eggs are a staple of any house as well. Make meal plans, buy fresh ingredients close to when youll be using it, and stock up on dry and canned goods when they go on sale. That way you have a well stocked pantry that you can make meals from with just a few fresh ingredients added.

• CB

If you are only going to cook ONCE then don't bother cooking at all  -  herbs and extracts don't expire (no food expires except baby formula), butter can be frozen flour last for a very long time in a sealed container (or in the freezer). 

• Laurie

Most people cook the same recipes over and over. If you KNOW you plan to make a recipe only once, then you need to determine whether you want to make that recipe badly enough to purchase what is needed - eve though you may not use the ingredients again.

• oikoσ

Usually, yes but hardly always. Of your list, I have everything except butter. I have margarine, vegetable oil spread, olive oil, canola oil (both bottles and spray cans),peanut oil, and a Crisco-like shortening. But no butter. As you expand your cooking repertoire, you start picking up different ingredients to have on hand. Be patient; I've been cooking for many decades.

If I'm making stuff then I always make sure I have. I used to make our own bread, I used to make MASSIVE square pizzas so, I always bought the ingredients before hand. Happy days.