Anonymous

Is going to Liberty University going to help me finding a decent job?

I work at Sonic (mainly at the drive-through) and I was very happy when I received a text saying that I got into Liberty while at work. All of the state universities I applied to rejected my application but Liberty is giving me a chance. My grades for sophomore and freshmen were garbage and I believe I had all Ds and Fs for 3 semesters but now I've changed and cleaned up my act. I also didn't do well on the ACT because I had a 16.

Is Liberty University my best bet for a job? I looked at their business program and it is not AACSB accredited. My mom who is the one who will help me pay for college disagrees and says that Liberty is a bad name to put on your resume. I'm not sure if she's exaggerating? I know the school is not well regarded like a state college but it has some kind of accreditation

you and your grades need a new kickstart,you have subject weaknesses,,bring them up,,choose subjects that are more likely to yield a decent paying job,LIberty U has a good rep for assisting kids,,kids must first show they are willing and able to do the work

It’s up to YOU to find a decent job, not where you go to school.

Liberty does not have a good reputation for its academics. It's also very religious to the point that the students take their Bibles to dinner with them (we saw them). You'd be better off starting out at a community college (cheaper and easier than a university), proving that you can do the work and then transferring to one of Virginia's many state universities to get your degree. Or you can try applying to Radford or Longwood, both of which would probably admit you now. Our neighbor's son went to Longwood and enjoyed the social life because the girls really outnumber the boys there, which worked in his favor.

• oikoσ

Liberty boasts about its accreditation but it is not academically accredited. Its only accreditation is from a religious group. That means NOTHING. If I were hiring a biologist, a degree from Liberty would be the kiss of death. In other fields, it might be barely passable. VA is loaded with schools that are called colleges. Surely you can get into one. My best advice is to enroll in a junior college for two years and knuckle down. If you can show good grades in college courses, you might be able to transfer to a decent school, like Tech or UVA. At the least, you will have an associate's degree. And to complete being a wet blanket, I'm going to ask whether you are college material at all. A lot of people with no degrees do quite well.

On the bright side, I started college too young and finished my freshman year in the figurative toilet. Starting in sophomore year, I applied myself and got my bachelor's, then a master's, and a Ph. D. If I can do it, why can't you at least get a bachelor's from a good school?

• Brian

It's too bad that Trump University is closed.

• Kyle

have you considered the military?  they have a lot of jobs and not all are combat or infantry related.  health care, IT, air traffic control, logistics, analysts, and others.  plenty of those can find similar positions when your service is over.  and companies will look at someone who has years of training and experience over those with just a college degree.  then if you still want to try college, the GI Bill will help pay for higher education.

military lifestyle isn't for everyone.  most jobs only require a four year contract.  some require six.  but it can help be a path towards top training, experience, and a way towards a career, both in the service or out.  do some research, then see a recruiter for next steps.  they can tell you what jobs are in demand and help prep you for the ASVAB (high school level). 

My cousin got a job in accounting with a Bachelors from Liberty, but with your grades you may want to consider trade school.

All colleges can tell you what their job placement rate is - ask them what percent of their business graduates get jobs in the field.

Unless you are 100% certain you have changed your ways, and your Ds and Fs were due to lack of effort, not lack of comprehension, you might be financially better off to go to a community college (unless Liberty is offering some financial aid?)

Liberty University is a career-killer and a waste of over $40,000 per year. You would be better off not going to that school, as community college Associates is seen as more respectable. 

it might help you get one