Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

is college better than high school?

I'm only in my freshman year of high school and I already dislike it. Is college any different from high school? I've heard people say it's either more stressful or super slight compared to high school.

• Expat

It’s different. There’s none of the click drama because it’s a much wider world, so often you don’t have classes with most people more than one course. The work and responsibilities is more in college though. If you don’t keep up and you fail, there’s no one to cry to - about half or more of freshmen in college are weeded out by their second year either quitting or kicked out for failing (academic drop). So they’re different; it just depends on which type of pressure bothers you more.

College is different for different people. I went to private schools. My first semester of college I scheduled 3 classes one right after the other on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Classes do not have to be one right after the other he they are in highschool. There are no study halls. There are no scheduled lunch breaks. You may or may not have physical education classes.

Freshman and sophomore college courses can go into more depth and detail than high school courses. They are also faster. At least now American history is broken into 3 semesters rather than 2 in both high school and college we got up to the 1939/stock market crash and the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl, then it was the end of the second semester.

I was also a commuter student and lived at home. My mother refused to let me live in a dormitory. I didn't have a driver's license until after I was a college graduate.

College is often major culture shock and can be overwhelming for many people. Some people never adjust.

depends on the school

College is very different. School is an extremely shallow, controlling environment, college gives you a bit more breathing room. That was my experience in school/college anyway.