Which one is more durable: notebook or a desk computer?

I already bought three notebooks in a span of 5 years and all are in the trash. I bought them brand new. What's the deal with this? Is it just bad luck or are notebooks actually less durable?

I just used them to write texts on Word. They didn't break because of me.

A desktop is more durable than Notebook. The only problem is portability.

Desk Computer is more Durable than Notebook. 

Below is my perspective of portable computers.

Portable computers is like fine china. In other words a lot of care MUST be given to it, or else it will break.

Laptops can last a long time if you ---> PROPERLY <--- care, for them.

I had 1 laptop that broke pretty fast. The rest of my laptops lasted longer. Currently I have 1 laptop that is going to break sometime soon.

I don't know how long ago my laptops were made.

I take good care of my laptops, so it make sense my portable computers last me a long time. Not all portable computers being sold will last long.

I opened up my laptop that broke pretty fast, and it looked burned on the inside, so I suspected something was wrong with the hardware.

I have 9 laptops of various ages and makers.  Newest is 7 years old this month.  All work fine now. Only one, a Lenovo, had a heat problem, so I replaced the motherboard.

I run many on a cooling stand with fan or fans underneath.  I run several with a USB exhaust fan box over exit grill.  This takes warm air out, gets more cool air in.

I never have any liquids around these laptops.  I keep them clean of viruses.  I keep the hard disks about 1/4 empty.  I keep important documents on flash drives or burned onto disks.  I haven't lost any valuable ones, and no files in 20 years.

It is mostly human error that shortens the life of these delicate machines.  Heat, impacts, contamination, viruses and just plain wearing out of parts like the moving ones (fans, disk drives) will do them in.  Older ones are not worth repairs, so just replace them.

Almost the same is true of desktops, but to a lesser extent.  Their parts are more readily available, easier to replace.  But technology marches on.  Older machines run slower, will not perform on Internet or with games like newer ones.

Source(s): Using computers since 1962. Building and repairing both PCs and a few laptops for several decades. College computer classes instructor. Electronics manufacturing engineer.
  • keerok

I have been using the same laptop for the past 7 years. I bought it brand new. I am also using the same desktop for the past 10 years. I bought it secondhand. It's not bad luck. It's how you take good care of your things. I use my computers to earn a living so I really take very good care of them.

notebooks are less durable -- with a desktop, you can replace only the element that has died ... frequently not so with a notebook

• Enigma

What were they, HP products?

A desk top is more durable.

You rarely move a desktop - but a notebook or a laptop is constantly being moved around.

A desktop usually has more space for components and better fans.  A notebook or laptop is more components crammed into a smaller space and overheats easily.

Some of the issues might be related to the brand or price range being purchased.

Several years ago, I bought both of my daughters identical laptops.  Same brand, same price, purchased from the same place at the same time.  My older daughter took her laptop everyplace with her.  My younger daughter rarely took her's anyplace.  The younger daughter kept hers sitting on a table in her room and even left it open most of the time.  The older daughter's laptop was basically trash in less than two years while the younger daughter's laptop was still working almost like new.  (and both of them actually had laptop bags for carrying their laptops in too, so it the issue wasn't lack of protection for the laptop when taking it places.)

• Ron75

I have had ab out the same luck with laptops but I made a small stand that keeps the laptop off the top of the desk and the last one is lasting longer once I got it where the air could get inside. But a desktop will last longer and give less trouble because of the reasons mentioned an the above post.

Ron

Notebooks have everything smaller, crammed into a smaller space.  This causes them to heat up inside, and heat is the enemy of electronics.  They also get a lot of knocks and shocks (though I know a lot of people just slap them on a desk and never move them).  A desktop is not just a much better deal, but it will last a lot longer.

Some laptops are made like cellphones, not expected to last more than a couple years, then you get a new one.

• manononbre1 month agoReport

Thank you for the confirmation.