Lv 4

International employee reporting pay to the IRS?

This friend has not reported to the IRS in 17 years.  He is employed by Berlitz.  What should he do at this point.

6 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    He needs to consult his own tax person. You're not responsible for forcing anyone to pay.

  • 8 months ago

    If he lives outside the US and never enters the US, then he owes no US taxes (but is obligated to file, if he is a US citizen).

  • NA
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

    You don't give enough facts.

    Is this a US citizen?  Or a foreign person living in the US?

    In a given year, how much income did they have?

    In 2019, a US person could make less than $12,200 world wide and not have a filing requirement. If the US person lived and worked abroad, they could make a lot more and not owe, but in order to claim the foreign earned income exclusion,  one must file (and before IRS figures out they should have).

  • 8 months ago

    At this point, he should consult a tax attorney. You didn't provide sufficient information to determine if he actually owes US Federal income tax. I can nearly guarantee he needs professional help to properly determine the amount. I can absolutely guarantee that he needs an attorney to submit 17 years of returns to the IRS without creating a huge mess.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

    He should leave the country and stay away.

  • 8 months ago

    File six years of returns.  That is as far back as IRS will want to go.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.