How are kidnapping investigations started?

I'm writing a novella in which one of the main characters is kidnapped as a minor plot point. The protagonist knows she's somewhere in his city but he has no idea where and no witnesses or clues.

In a situation where someone is kidnapped in real life and there s no security footage or witnesses, where would an investigator start?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The police would also determine where she was last seen and in what direction she was going.  She may have eaten lunch with a friend.  The friend may know where she was walking when they parted.  If the restaurant was a favourite of the missing person, the employees might recognize her and describe what she wore, who she was with and her state of mind. Plus there are the restaurant's security cameras

They would ask friends and family about her usual haunts and routines.  One missing person used the library. The police came with an order to take the tapes from security cameras, her card information and all the computer terminals to find out if she had been here and what e-mail or social media she used.

• Trisha
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

At her school or at her family's house.

• 1 month ago

If I was the investigator, I'd start by holing up in a cheap Vegas hotel with a selection of highly dangerous drugs, booze and ladies of the night. For, say, a month. That's about it, really. The kidnap "situation" would just have to take care of itself. Hope that, erm, helped.

• 1 month ago

The police will interview family, colleagues at work, and friends to identify anybody who had any ongoing animosity with the victim, potential stalkers, who she was dating, former boyfriends, relatives they've cut out of their lives, etc.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.