What era of american writing does edgar allen Poe fall under?

1.) Modest

2.) Realist

3.) Romantic

4.) Revolutionary 

Oh, 'modest' for sure.

• j153e

George Washington and Benjamin Franklin are in the Revolutionary or Founding era.

Washington Irving, Ralph (Where's) Waldo Emerson, "The Scarlet Letter's" Nathaniel Hawthorne, "Moby Dick's" Herman Melville, winsome Emily Dickinson  ("I measure every Grief I meet"), off-the-grid Thoreau, and kindly Henry Wadsworth Longfellow ("Song of Hiawatha," "A Psalm of Life") are so awesomely Romantic.

Following World War One, the Americans turned away from straight Romanticism to a sadder-but-wiser style, such as Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea," about a Cuban Christ-figure fisherman, Faulker with his imaginary County, and Wallace Stevens, poet ("Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird," let him count the ways, but it's not strictly lovey-dovey.)  This style has the catchy name "Realism" ("sadder but wiser," "wised-up").

The rest of the story = Modern, although some now like to point to differences between think-about-it modern and I'm-not-sure-about-it post-modern (although modern is, literally, "just now," from the Latin "modo," "just now").  It's whatever comes after "Realism," maybe around the time of novels like "Slaughterhouse-Five" and "To Kill a Mockingbird."

For class purposes, when did Edgar live his somewhat wretched existence?  While George Washington was riding around, or when Ernest Hemingway was writing "The Old Man and the Sea," or when Kurt Vonnegut was writing the (post-modern) "Slaughterhouse-Five," or when Washington Irving was writing "Rip Van Winkle"?  Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Allen_Poe for details given in the third sentence in the entry.

This looks like a homework question due to the multiple-choice answers...

Poe lived from 1809 to 1849.

You can easily look up the dates for the eras of American literature to find the answer.

You'll have to google for the dates of each era.

• Trisha

The Cask of Amontillado

Oh look! Another homework question.

I know the answer. But, since I am not the type to condone cheating I will let you figure this one out like you're supposed to. Also, I am fairly certain you meant modern, not modest. Sheesh. Can't even get that one right. Stay in school and pay attention in class.

• Whatever

Too bad. Now get to work. Your answer can be found with a quick Google search. Although I knew the answer, I decided to Google it to see how easy it would be. Two minutes. Tops.