Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

How to make a chicken soup?

Is it easy?

If yo your own chicken stock it takes some doing because the preferred method for the stock is to use a whole chicken but if you use a chicken broth for the stock it is not that hard. I have used the bones from a baked chicken for the stock but that is not as rich a stock as using a whole chicken.

how easy or hard it is depends on choices you make.

I prefer my own broth so I brown the chicken pieces very well, add onions, celery and carrot and water. Season with salt and pepper and thyme and garlic if you like. bring to a boil, and when the veggies are tender, add noodles and cook till those are tender too.

OR if you have a carcasse, brown it well, add rough chopped onion, garlic, celery and carrot, cover with water, add bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper, and simmer for several hours to make home made soup stock.

strain, reserving the meat, pour the stock back into the kettle, add new diced carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and reserved diced meat. Bring to a boil, taste, adjust seasonings, add noodle and when the noodles are tender soup is done.

Or you can use canned broth, frozen diced chicken and dump everything together, add noodles and its ready to eat when the noodles are done.

It all depends on what you choose to do.

It’s a great start for beginners. It’s simply sautéed (always on low heat using vegetable or olive oil) chopped celery, carrots and onions (until onions are clear) then adding chicken stock that is either prepared or purchased and slowly simmering, adding diced or pulled cooked chicken last. Seasonings are typically salt, pepper, thyme. The amounts of each depend on the quantity you desire obviously, and for one quart, prepare as follows: 3 carries, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 a small onion. Stock: 1 qt. A half tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and thyme, adding more if desired after sampling.

For the best soup, you need a good stock to start with, for the broth. There are shortcuts, such as bouillon cubes, powder, liquid stock or chicken 'base' mixed with water. Decent soup can be made with these, but the broth will not be as rich and flavorful as stock you make yourself.

You need your liquid. You need the meat and you need a variety of vegetables. And you need at least some spices, at the very least some black pepper. Any commercial product for your liquid will have plenty of sodium so extra salt should not be needed.

I will saute my chopped onion with a little bit of chopped garlic, in a small amount of olive oil. Once the onions are translucent, I add my stock and my spices and simmer for about an hour. For chicken or turkey soup, I will add some black pepper, some Italian seasoning (mix of basil, oregano and parsley), a little bit of thyme and a little bit of ground sage. I do not measure, I go by sight, I've been making soups for more than thirty years.

Then I add my chopped vegetables, carrots and celery. If I'm going to add chopped potatoes, I will add them last, at the same time I add my cut-up raw chicken breasts.  The potatoes take less time to cook and the chicken doesn't need much time to be thoroughly cooked and will turn out tender.

If I want noodles or macaroni - I tend to make my soups in large batches - I will ladle out only what soup I expect to use for a meal and add the pasta at the last minute and simmer until done. If you add pasta and have leftovers, the pasta will often turn to mush when reheated.

I make my own stock by taking whole chicken (turkey) carcasses from a meal.  There may be some good amount of dark meat left on the bones as well as small craps of white meat. I put it in a stockpot with plenty of water, the same spices I use for soup, and a chopped onion, some chopped garlic, and a few stalks of celery and a few carrots.

However, unlike with my soup, I do not trim away and discard the celery leaves and the carrot bottoms. I wash everything well and cut the stalks and carrots in larger chucks, leaving the leaves and everything in there.

I bring to a boil and simmer for as much as four hours. I may stop partway through and remove any chunks of meat that have come loose, set them aside.  But you want to boil everything you can out of those bones. That is where most of the flavor comes from. You should that when your stock cools, it may be somewhat like gelatin. That comes from the bones and the rendered connective tissue between the bones.

After simmering, I strain the liquid through a colander into a large bowl or another stockpot and set aside. I let what is in the colander cool down, and then separate any other meat that is still on the bones, what meat is mixed in with the veggie scraps, and it plus any other meat if pulled off earlier will be added when I begin to make the soup, later. The veggies are tossed out.

I don't always have carcasses when I want chicken soup, so I can make a decent one using chicken base (I prefer it to bouillon cubes or the liquid containers from stores). It's just not as rich and flavorful as one I make with my own stock.

Boil chicken, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, etc for a few hours until chicken falls apart. Season to taste.