What is the best fantasy series and or book you have ever read?

Of course I think 'Lord of the Rings' is marvellous, but the 'Earthsea' quartet by Ursula le Guin has a whole other feel to it, far more magical and mysterious yet right down to earth. A lot more women too, if that's important to you.

I re-read them often, but not too often in case the mystery wears off. The sequence where the wall in the land of the dead is at risk of being breached still occasionally has me lying awake sweating.

Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. 

Started in the late 60's I think (?) I liked them because they felt different. Everyone was going through an elves, dwarves and dragons phase and it got boring quick. Though not created by Tolkien, I so heavily associated them with him that I feel no one else writes them as well. They were really his "creation" and I get tired of people just copying them. Fantasy is the most limitless genre yet it can become very derivative. There is a better selection in my country now for Fantasy than there was back then. 

• LilyRT

The one I’ve reread the most is the belgariad by David Eddings

The funniest work of fiction that I ever read was the Joe Biden autobiography.  Biden jokingly refers to himself as honest and intelligent.  I truly could not stop laughing.

J. R. R. Tolkien - The Silmarilion, etc.

Stephen R. Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. 

Garth Nix - The Old Kingdom.

"One Second After" . Dystopian apocalyptism.

I read "DARK MONEY: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" (2017) by Jane Mayer and immediately sent the book to Special Counsel Robert Mueller.  Why?  The patterns of anti-democracy of domestic terrorism set up by the spoiled-brat absolute-power-lusting Koch brothers Charles and David to overthrow our of, by, and for the people government from INSIDE the political system exactly matches what KGB-trained Vladimir Putin copied to sabotage our already great nation's democratic processes in order to plant their Russian MAFIA PUPPET Trump in our White House.  

My latest book is audio: "BLOWOUT" (2020) by MSNBC hostess Rachel Maddow, fifteen and a half hours of CDs that is mind-blowing.

• Tina

But neither of thes books, presumably, are intended to be fantasy.