Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Single fathers I need some advice?

Im not going to go into full detail about everything that happened but long story short me and my son's mother split up before he was born, both me and her are to blame and I take responsibility on my end, now this is where I need advice. My son gets to come over every weekend which is great and we don't really argue about that, the problem is I feel guilty and my anxiety shoots though the roof when I have to take him back home for the week, it really gets to me every time. Honestly I know to some degree it should because I'm partly to blame for it being like this, but am I over thinking or taking it too hard on myself? I have tried many times to work stuff out with her but she doesn't want to and now I'm stuck feeling like I let my son down every weekend when he has to leave. This is probably a bad idea even asking but I really want to know what other dads think and if y'all have any advice thanks

Favorite Answer

I'm not a guy, but you can't force other people to want to try. You stated she doesn't want to work stuff out, so why put it on yourself that YOU let your son down? Kids are like sponges, they soak in everything around them. If you two stayed together, he would see how unhappy you two are + all the fighting. It would be better for the kid mentally wise, if you stay apart. Just make the best of it when he's with you. Show him that you still love him no matter what. Be there for him when he calls. That's more important than being in the same house as him all the time.

• Tj

Many dad's do what you are doing. Try to keep peace with your ex.....Maybe in time she will be willing to let you have the child more often. Just be the good father that you are. This is what you have to do for now, stop being so hard on yourself. Enjoy you visits

Watch the first few episodes of two and a half men. Alan is exactly the same as you. He gets his son over the weekend and he feels guilty that he doesn’t get to talk to him during the weekdays. He tried to get back with his ex-wife so that his son doesn’t have to go back and forth. Anyway, he learns that it’s in everyone’s best interest if things stay the same way that it is now. It allows him to grow. 

i would just be thankful you get to see him at all