Anonymous

Should I inform my professors that I have a child?

In case I have to miss class because of family emergencies or if my grandma is ever unable to watch her for some reason. Starting college next week. 

• Laurie

Honestly, they don’t care. They care whether you miss class - but not why. If you miss, you miss. Some professors will deliberately cover information in class that is not in the text, or give pop#quizzes (for which makeups are not allowed), deliberately to punish those who miss class.

Honestly, I would take my child to class with me before I would miss class.

These are my suggestions, given your circumstances:

1. Read your syllabus thoroughly so that you understand the teacher’s policies. (Each teacher may handle absences quite differently).)

2. The first meeting of every class, be friendly and assertive, and exchange phone numbers and/or email addresses with AT LEAST one person.

3. If you know in advance that you will miss class, call/email your class contact and ask him/her to take notew and pick up any handouts for you. In turn, you will do this for them if THEY must miss class...

4. If you must miss class, Do NOT email the teacher and ask, “What did I miss?” Do NOT go up to the teacher at the next class and ask him what he talked about when you were absent. THAT is what the phone number/email address is for. Ask your peer, not the teacher.

5. If you feel you MUST talk to the teacher about the absence, go to see him/her IN PERSON, DURING OFFICE HOURS - not before or after class.

Good luck.

• Murzy

Only mention it after you have an absence.