Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

Is this a nonsensical answer?

A theist asked if I'm i believe in God.I said no i dont.

Then he said belief in God had many advantages and helps people and gives them comfort.He asked me what are the benefits of not believing in God?

I said that one of the benefits is that atheists can live freely and think freely.They don't have to fear being punished by a higher entity and fear being tortured for eternity.Theists like muslims live in fear all the time and do so many things and give up so many things just so they don't go to hell.They don't dare to question,reason or think critically.Being an atheist frees you from that fear makes you logical and critical thinker so that you can decide what's wrong and what's right.

Then he dismissed my answer as non sense.

It makes good sense to me. If someone dismisses your answer as nonsense without giving a cogent explanation of why, it doesn't mean it's nonsense; it means they don't understand, or they don't want to understand.

Have you ever considered that your fear of there being a God who will hold each of us accountable is the reason you chose not to believe and the main reason you have the desire to reject the possibility that He exists? We all have morals, the ability to choose and decide what's wrong and what's right. Your choice not to believe doesn't mean or in reality makes you more logical or a more critical thinker. We all question, reason and think... and this has led countless people to believe that there is a living God.

That was a good answer, you are normal and the person you were talking to was mentally ill.

• Larry K.

Come on! Misty, I may be mentally ill and still have a rational reason for disagreeing with you.....' seems like I do occasionally (' Sorry!).

I do not find your answer to be nonsensical, no. I disagree with it, but that does not translate to it being nonsensical. You are mistaken in some of your conclusions, however.

The significant part of your argument seems to be freedom. For humans freedom is always relative, never absolute. You said “theists live in fear all the time and do so many things and give up so many things just so they don't go to hell.” I would immediately ask: what things has the theist given up? But your contention goes to both their motivation and the relative freedom they possess. I would venture to say that most humans (that is, those who are not suicidal) will not jump off of a thirty-story building for “fear” of killing themselves. Most will not go flying unless it is in some sort of machine that will allow them to do so and remain relatively intact. Why? They are well aware of the law of gravity and they recognize the consequences of breaking that law. For theists, it has nothing to do with going to hell if they break that law. “Sure,” you may say, “but I’m not talking about stuff like that!” But aren’t you?You are saying that atheists have freedoms that theists do not have. Again, freedom is relative for humans, never absolute. There are laws in place that nobody has the freedom to break without dire consequences and those consequences do not have anything to do with hell. Bring it down to earth a little bit: a wife – be she atheist or theist – has the ‘freedom’ to cheat on her husband, enjoy having sex with anybody she chooses. In most countries, there is no law on the books that a judicial system uses to prosecute her. So she chooses to be unfaithful. Is that freedom? Sure, it is the freedom (or free will) to be disloyal, unfaithful, selfish. How does that benefit her? Indeed, how does disloyalty and selfishness benefit anyone?Now say she does NOT cheat. Remember, this is atheist or theist, take your pick. What is her motivation for remaining faithful? The fear that if she doesn’t, there will be uniformed cops at the door to drag her away to jail? Or is her motivation a complete and selfless love for her husband? Is it not perfectly possible that she does not want to cheat because she loves her husband and wishes to remain faithful out of that love? She is free to cheat and free to remain faithful. The decision she makes is based on what motivates her. So, what motivates her? Fear . . . or love?Your question goes to the degree of freedom that a human has and the motivation a human has for doing - or refraining from doing – whatever. You reduce the theist’s motivation to fear and acclaim the atheist’s motivation to the ability to reason and think critically. You contend that theists have no freedom yet all the while you tout the freedom of atheists who can do absolutely anything. But that is not really so, is it. And that last part of your question is the tell:“So that you can decide what's wrong and what's right.” Wrong and right based on what? Based on a standard? Okay. Whose standard? The opinion of the authorities? The opinion of the government? Subjective opinion? Individual opinion? Group opinion?I am a Christian. I do not fear being punished by a higher entity. I obey God because I have learned – yes learned – that His way is best, superior, highly beneficial. I obey him out of love – that is my motivation. Not because he will torture me eternally which is a ridiculous teaching on the face of it, which violates logic and reason and which has no basis whatsoever in scripture. As for reason and critical thinking, I have in mind Romans 12:1 where Christians are admonished to worship God with their power of reason. The Greek word there is logikos from which our English word logic is derived. Christians who study the Bible have learned to reason, to think critically, and arrive at beneficial and sensible decisions based on God’s principles and a Bible-trained conscience.Hannah J Paul

Christers FEAR them who do not FEAR what they FEAR.

~

People that Do Beleive in GOD have happy and loving lives! Not all worried as you are dreaming; and knowing we are aiming ourselves for GOD and Heaven after! With GOD we, that comes only from and with GOD, also have our life filled with LOVE! 

You Atheists are also going to be Judged by GOD after your life; just go to Hell instead of Heaven! Atheists cannot feel anymore than each of their own LUST for only each of their own wants.

• Larry K.

And yet another soul who probably believes she or he is a Christian. Whether you are an atheist or a theist, the carpenter who lived ~ 2000 years ago gave the world a way to live that insures peace and the survival of the race. All the hatred  Christians and atheists have for each other saddens me.

Whose living in fear? Eventually U will have to face YHVH GOD and Yeshua the Messiah. HELL is the GRAVE and everyone goes there. BUT what does exist is THE LAKE OF FIRE. NO human will burn forever there, as that is a wrong teaching, but they will instantly die the 2nd death. The devil and his demons will however burn forever as they are spirit beings and cannot die.

I can see why he said that as your thinking is skewed.

Atheists have freed themselves from the irrational  fears of God belief...   It's that fear that binds us to religion.

Atheism is for mature adults...  

>>>They don't have to fear being punished by a higher entity and fear being tortured for eternity.<<<<

Well you may not fear hell now, but you surely will THEN. 

Mat 13:42 And he shall cast the wicked into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+burning+in+...

Facts don't care about your beliefs. 

TEMPUS FUGIT 

>>Nobody is going to hell because hell does not exist.<<

Patience dear. When you find yourself burning in the lake of fire, keep telling yourself "This isn't real!" You'll wish you'd never been born. Forever and ever. 

• Roman2 months agoReport

Nobody is going to hell because hell does not exist.