Wiktor asked in TravelUnited StatesChicago · 3 months ago

Hi, I ve been planning a trip to chicago. I m a 20yo european and I m wondering whether i can smoke cigarettes i brought from eu in the us.?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favourite answer

You can bring cigarettes in your luggage if you don't bring so many that it looks like you're going to sell them. However, there are very few places where you can smoke in the US. You'll see a few people huddled against the walls outside their office buildings, in the cold and the snow and the sleet, puffing on a cigarette because of their addiction. But you can't smoke in restaurants, stores, shopping malls, public buildings, schools, etc. And you may pay more for a room you can smoke in at a hotel. Don't even THINK about smoking in a non-smoking room! They'll charge you have the whole room steam cleaned so the next person doesn't smell your smoke. 

• 1 month ago

There is a limit to the number of cigarettes you can bring into the country.  You can bring two cartons (200 cigarettes) into the country from most countries.  You must declare this on your customs form.

Cigarettes are probably cheaper in the USA, so...  why are you bringing them in from abroad?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • DEBS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No. The air is different. They won't even light.

• 2 months ago

Smuggling is smuggling. You MIGHT be stopped and searched by Customs.

Can you LEGALLY do it? NO

Do many get away with it? YES

Because of your young age be prepared to show age Identification to purchase anything after you arrive.

US Customs if they know about your cigarettes will take them away..

If they find hidden ones that is a problem and you might be returning home faster than planned.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Assuming that you can get them by customs, no one is going to card you if they see you smoking.  There are plenty of underage kids smoking in the US.

You aren't going to be able to buy any cigarettes here.  They just raised the age to 21 to purchase nationwide.

• 3 months ago

There are strict restrictions on how and where young people may smoke in the US. Most public transportation, buildings, and other indoor places ban smoking for people of ANY age.

The State of Illinois recently passed a law that you have to be 21 to buy tobacco products because TOBACCO KILLS.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

In most US states you have to be 21years old to 🚬 smoke cigarettes.

• Eastside Guz
      Lv 6
      3 months agoReport

So unless you "pack" cigarettes in your luggage like gypsyfish advised you, then youre SOL.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.