Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Does this mean he doesn’t have to pay child support anymore?

My baby’s dad who lives out of state has been paying child support once a week up until the 2nd of January. I haven’t had a child support payment since the 2nd of January which was 3 weeks ago. About a week ago I called the child support office and spoke to this guy who said he might of lost his job so that’s why he’s not paying me. I also looked on his Facebook page and saw that he’s asking people information about a college class that he wants to get into. How’s he supposed to go to school when he can’t pay me child support??? I’m just worried that he doesn’t have to pay me child support anymore and that he’ll find a job that pays under the table so they won’t have any record of him having another job. So Does he not have to pay child support anymore since it’s been 3 weeks???

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

He will still owe until the child turns 18-years of age and graduates high school.  As for him taking a college class...........this is really none of your business......perhaps he's taking classes to get a better job.....................

• Bort
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

No, he has to pay child support until the child is emancipated (18 years old and graduated from high school). People can get in to college without paying for it. That's what Financial Aid is for, it pays for college courses and is super easy to get. Even if he gets a job under the table he is still required to pay until the child is emancipated. The child support office is giving him a bit of leniency if he's out of a job to give him time to find another job probably because he usually pays and isn't that far in arrears.

• 1 month ago

If he's financially able to pay support there are social assistance programs that can provide support for you. Most will pay you and put a lien on his future earnings to be repaid.

• 1 month ago

Ask your lawyer.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, he still owes child support.

• jimmy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The court can adjust support payments according to his income. If he is out of work, support payments may be lowered if he goes back to court.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If he doesn't have a regular paycheck there's nothing for them to garnish, but he's still technically responsible to pay you directly.  Anything he doesn't pay he will still owe you and it will accumulate.    When he gets a new job you may have to tell them where's he's working since they often are not very good at figuring that out on their own.  

It's fairly rare for someone to go the rest of their life getting paid under the table, so often in these situations you would have to go without support for however long until he gets a regular job again.  At that point he will owe you everything he did not pay along with the support he would normally owe.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If there is a child support order by a judge he must pay child support, job or no job.

• 1 month ago

Call the Clerk for the Judge that awarded the child support to you and tell them he isn't paying.  Ask what you should do.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He is still a parent and still owes child support, so the child support office needs to bill him to pay........ the child support is the legal right of the child and his legal responsibility, so he doesn't get to choose once he decided to breed not to pay

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.