Should he plead guilty or not guilty for a misdemeanor marijuana charge? (Texas)?

My brother got arrested last night for a marijuana charge. We are in Texas, he is 20 years old and this is his first offense. I’m not sure how much marijuana he had but I’m pretty sure it was probably less than ounce.

If it were like 1-3 grams of weed, do you really think the court is gonna try to prosecute him for pleading not guilty??? It’s just a plant for god sakes. 

If he pleads not guilty, yeah, they will come after him. You think they are going to say "oh, well, we found him with the weed and can prove it in 2 minutes, but he says he didn't do it, so let's just take that as it is"? No. They will happily go to trial, it'll be a 5 minute trial, in which he will be convicted. At that point, sentencing is no longer nice and lenient, because you had to be a pain in everyone's behind.

• Rick B

Just a plant huh? I would suggest that he talk to a lawyer. They are very likely to help him get this dropped or deferred.