is it safe to travel to shanghai?

i’m travelling to Phuket in Thailand on the 14th Feb but we have an hour stopover in Shanghai there and back. since this virus is going around, should i cancel my trip? i have been looking forward to this for such a long time i really don’t want to cancel but things aren’t looking too interesting

Which flight are you on and which country are you flying from? This would be a big help! Certain countries/flights are banning ALL air travel to and from Shanghai, this means that if you're on a flight that is banned, the plane will travel past Shanghai and detour at another city to refuel.

You don't have to cancel your flight, but I would strongly recommend calling ahead to get better details.

First check with your airline about options.

For example:  

https://www.delta.com/us/en/advisories/other-alert...

Note that British Airways has cancelled all flights to China. 

Shanghai is quite safe and non-violent compared to other cities of comparable size. Travelers are often victims of crimes, but precautions can be taken to avoid them.

There may not even be flights to China by then. Check with your airline. I would stay away from China.