Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 2 months ago

Should I buy a new external HD?

Hi there. I have 2 external hard disks that are more than 7 years old. Should I buy a new Hard disk to replace these 2 just in case these 2 old hard disks crash?

thank you for your time. Have a very nice day!!

If it is in budget I would consider getting an internal SSD and possibly using your existing HD as additional storage rather than using an external HD - you will find a huge performance boost if you are not currently booting from SSD.

You can if you want, but if you're not going to replace the two drives immediately or back up the data from them onto the new drive, I wouldn't. If you buy the new drive and wait for them to fail, you might find that the new drive also doesn't work, and be outside of the warranty / RMA period.

thats up to you

• A.J.

It depends upon how important the data is, and if 7 years old, how much storage is on them?

You may be able to buy a single drive to back up both and can use data compression.

All important data should have a backup copy.

• Nicey8

Thank you.

• John

and a 8" external floppy drive.