How do you make flavorful dumplings?

I love chicken and dumplings and have attempted to make several of the recipes found online. Unfortunately all the dumping recipes turn out to be rather tasteless and disappointing. I want a dumping that compliments the stew rather than simply tasting of cooked flower. Anyone know what else to add other than chicken stock, butter, salt, buttermilk, ect? Something that will actually make the dumplings tasty? I'm not looking for a quick version such as Pillsbury biscuits. I'm in need of a good from scratch recipe. Thank you. 

*flour

• Janet

I make my dumplings out of flour, milk, egg, shortening, salt and minced fresh parsley. Steam them on TOP of the stew (cover on) rather than IN the stew. They turn out light and fluffy, and I use the gravy to add flavor.

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced

Mix together.

Cut in 1/4 cup shortening until the mixture resembles a course meal

Mix together 1 egg, slightly beaten, with 3/4 cups milk.

Add to the dry ingredients and mix ONLY until all flour is dampened.

Drop by large spoonfuls onto the top of the simmering stew. Cover tightly and steam for 12 minutes. Do not remove the cover during this process.

Serve immediately.

after preparing YOUR recipe for Chicken and Dumplings

TRY adding a CAN of ( Campbell )  ' Cream of CHICKEN SOUP "

it will add  FLAVOR  to YOUR recipe  the DUMPLINGS will absorb the Flavor of the soup  ps might want to change the word FLOWER  as in Cooked Flower to FLOUR  in your  question

• Jane

I agree dumplings can be lacking in flavour, but they shouldn't taste floury if they are cooked properly, they should be light and fluffy with the tops browned.

I just add grated frozen butter or half butter and lard, half fat to flour eg 100g flour, 50g fat.Mix in flavourings- I like lots of hard herbs like thyme and rosemary for a beef stew, parmesan is nice, plenty of salt and ground pepper, lightly mix in just enough cold water so it just holds together enough to make small ball , drop into the hot stew for 20 mins or so.I have the stew in a lidded casserole in the oven, take the lid off for another 10 mins so they go crusty on top but absorb the gravy underneath.

Dumplings ARE tasteless and disgusting.

• denise

This recipe for  'Spoon Dumplings', I found in a magazine are a new 'favorite'.

150g S.R Flour,

55g Butter,

1 Beaten egg,

25g Grated Parmesan or Pecorino,

75g Cooked & crumbled Bacon,

Chopped or dried parsley [about a rounded teaspoonful],

A little grated lemon zest [about a teaspoon / 1/2 lemon],

Little milk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mix dry goods together, add the egg to bring together, with enough milk to make a soft dough [ a bit looser than 'biscuit' / scone dough ].

Use a dessert spoon to put 'blobs' on the top of the stew / casserole [because they swell & grow] around 15 / 20 minutes before serving.

They will 'fill' the top of your stew / casserole pot.

I find its better to use a 'lidded' pot / dish.

Good with  chicken, turkey, pork  stews [even veggie ones, without the bacon of course!]. 

• Dumplings aren't meant to have flavor of their own - texture and the ability to soak up the juices and flavors of whatever they are sitting in. You could bump up the flavor by using animal fat (schmaltz or lard, hm - bacon fat would give you a lot of flavor if you'd want that) and adding some leafy herbs like parsley and basil or tarragon. And don't skimp on black pepper.

I've always added some herbs to mine.  Thyme is a good choice, but so are things like basil and oregano, depending upon the flavor profile you're going for.

We don't why you don't think they are tasty.

make sure to use ice cold good quality butter

more salt

dried herbs

My grandma use to make those drop biscuits and she dropped them in thick broth that was a simmering goodness of meat pieces and veggies. 

I've made them from memory and made broth a wee thicker like a gravy to cook dumplings. 

More butter is a great idea too.

The only thing that would improve them is butter. Be resigned that they are tasty in their own way, much like mashed potatoes are good in and of themselves.