Just spent $1300 on timing belt for 2000 Honda CRV, 99,000 mi, now the starter went (another thous $ job), sell it now or repair It?

• Adam D

You've got pretty low mileage for a 20 year old vehicle.  Unless it has had a lot of issues, a few repair in 20 years isn't too bad.  Do you have a plan for getting another vehicle?  Because of age, it isn't worth much, you're not going to get a lot of trade-in for it.

I think you should look for a better mechanic.  A timing belt replacement shouldn't cost more than $500 or $600 on the high end, and probably more like $400.  A starter replacement should be similar.

• Adam D

I'm assuming the price of a new starter from a big-chain parts store, that our asker cannot do the work himself, and that he lives somewhere with higher than average hourly mechanic costs. For me, even having my mechanic do the install, the cost would be $250 or less.

Cars are expensive and need maintenance.  Timing belts need to be regularly replaced.  99,000 miles, not uncommon for the starter to go.  If you are having the dealer do it, that would explain $1,000 to replace a starter.  Look for a local shop with a good reputation.

• Erik

It doesn't make sense to overpay like that, and then when a lesser problem happens, sell the car.

I just recently replaced the starter in my car, it was surprisingly easy.  I paid $40 to get the part  from a salvage yard.  Just look it up on Youtube, and make sure you have the right tools (I needed an extension).

The starter motor is $140 t Advance Auto. It takes me 1.5 hours to put it in.

You shouldn't pay more then $250 parts and labor for the starter.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

The CRV has another 100k miles left.  A starter is not a thousand dollar job.  One hour labor and around $120 for a remanufactured one at Rockauto.com.    Hire a mobile mechanic.

• CB

You can sell it for scrap (without a starter) or fix it and sell it as a running car for about break even money. 

Geez, they saw you coming. No since selling it now for a lousy starter.  You need to find a low priced place for repairs. And one that uses used parts.

Buy one and fit it yourself. A kid of 10 could do it.