Why does my 1TB Hard Drive work internally but not externally?

I just purchased a 1TB 3.5" Hard Drive I intend to use as an external drive. I put it inside my 3.5" enclosure but no computer at all detects it, Even tried 3 different USB cables. However I put the Hard Drive inside my desktop pc internally, Installed a fresh copy of Windows on it and it worked flawlessly. But why is it only working internally and not externally?

No partition or recovery software detects the Hard drive externally either

• David

Could be a faulty enclosure, faulty power cable or adapter, faulty data cable

• Norm F

A 3.5" hard drive needs 5V, and 12V for the spindle motor. you do not mention that you have a 12v power adapter.

• Bill-M

Did you connect the AC power Cable to the 3.5 inch enclosure??

• Adrian

An internal 3.5" HDD usually uses more power than a USB port can provide. Using a larger desktop HDD in an external enclosure usually requires that enclosure have an external power supply (or internal to the case), with a power cord or adapter plugged into a regular wall outlet.

I suspect your external drive enclosure is just not supplying enough power. Most of those cases expect a "low power" disk drive, unless it has an extra power supply attached to it.

Without knowing your HDD model and the external case model, that is the best guess anyone can make....

Most likely problem: you need to make sure that the USB ports on your PC are at least the minimum needed by your enclosure.For example: if your enclosure requires at least a USB 3.0 port but you plug it into a USB 2.0 port, it won't function properly.

Not sure what type of external "enclosure" you have

but the hard drive needs to have both POWER and DATA connected. There should be TWO cables connected to the hard drive (datacable and power cable).

What power did you supply to that hard disk in the external case, and in the internal position?

• Externally I plugged directly into the wall. Same for internally in my desktop.