Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Can I change my insurance for an Medicare advantage plan?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Changing your insurance depends on what insurance you currently have and any applicable enrollment periods. For example, if you have Medicare Advantage right now, you can switch to another Medicare Advantage plan from January 1 - March 31. The enrollment period is the Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period.

If you have a Medigap plan, Part D, or no plan, you can't sign up for Medicare Advantage unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. Like you just moved, got married, divorced, or some other major event like that.

You can enroll in Medigap anytime, though outside of an enrollment period there are underwriting questions, so you'll need to qualify with your health. Many people with a few health issues are still able to get Medigap. It just depends on the company and the health condition or medications you take.

Otherwise, you'll need to wait until the Annual Enrollment Period to choose Medicare Advantage. The Annual Enrollment Period takes place from October 15- December 7th every year.

Thank you!

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

I think the deadline has past to make a change unless the Advantage plan you want is a 5-star rated plan. Check the Medicare site.

• 2 months ago

If you already have Medicare Part B, you had to sign up for an advantage plan during the 2020 open enrollment period that ended in December. You can only change now due to a qualifying event, such as losing private insurance coverage (such as an employer plan), or getting married, or permanently moving to another state (many plans are state-based).  You have until up to 60 days after the event to apply for a special enrollment. If you don't act, you must wait until the next open enrollment in fall of 2020.

• 2 months ago

No, not here. Not possible.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you have medicare. you should be able tp change to an Advantage plan during the annual open enrollment period.

• cmac'm
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

My understanding is Medicare is Medicare, it's one plan for people 65 or older. If you want to get a supplemental plan alongside your medicare plan then you can do that. You should speak to a medical insurance agent to review your options

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.