Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

How to get over the regret of not having the best high school experience?

I’m a freshman in college who is currently having lots of regrets about high school. It wasn’t too bad but it was not great either. I remember before high school, I dreamed of having it as it would look like in famous movies or TV shows and having the time of my life but it wasn’t like that at all. I was severely depressed and anxious in high school and I feel like I missed out on so many things, especially in freshman and senior year. There were also a lot of distressing memories in high school when I was suffering from depression and I remember feeling so lonely and desperate in my freshman and senior year. My sophomore and junior year was good because I was always doing things with friends and hanging out with them. I remember graduating, I felt sad inside with all the things that I missed out in high school.

So far in college, it’s been good, I made some new friends but not close ones yet because I was commuting the first semester and I recently moved in on campus for second semester. I’m not suffering from depression anymore and I’m happier but I’m still having lots of regrets about high school and I’m worried that people will judge me about my high school experience. How can I get over high school and my experience? How can I have a better college experience than high school? 

I feel the same way, i got lost in school with no friends

First of all, let me start by saying that no one pays any attention to what happens in high school once you graduate and leave. As long as your grades and test scores were good enough to get you into college, it makes little difference what your high school experience was.

Sure, you have regrets about that time in your life. Most people do. But you learned from your mistakes, and you're a better, stronger person now because of that. The secret to having a better life in college is not to dwell on the past. Instead, focus on the here and now, and on getting the best education you can.

Nothing can ever happen to you that you did not cause to happen to you.  Everything that happens to us is our own fault, and it is essential that we grow up and take complete responsibility for it all.  Depression comes from sin.  It is punishment.  If you don't want it, don't sin.

Remember that Life ain't a movie, that it sucks at times, and move on.

Never look back

It's not easy, but for your sanity just forget about it, make your college experience nicer and look into your future rather your past. keep going forward. 

I was in a similar position as you are in. I started high school in the fall of 2011 and graduated in the fall of 2014 (early graduate). I don't think much of my freshman and sophomore years, but my junior year was my worst year (specifically first semester). Without getting into too much detail, I was feeling burnt out from school and had a realization that high school students in general were very immature and that bothered me for some reason. Even after I graduated high school, I still had this lingering "anger" towards it for nearly a year. However, as time went on, I began forgetting about high school. I eventually got to a point to where I pretty much forgot about high school and don't care about it anymore. I still don't like my high school experience, but I don't have that "anger" that I had when I was a junior in high school

As far as people judging you about your high school experience, who cares? You're done with high school and it is pretty much irrelevant at this point in your life. You have far more important things like your college grades, internships/jobs, life, etc to worry about than high school. I never went to any high school dances or parties or sporting events and I don't regret it at all. As a matter of fact, I didn't even go to the graduation ceremony and I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Do whatever works best for you, but just don't get too caught up in the past; it is done and over with and can't be changed. If missing out on certain high school things really bothers you, I'm sure you can do similar things in college if that's what you really want. It may take time for you to stop caring about high school. Like I mentioned, I was always thinking about how terrible my high school experience was in between classes at the local community college. I would even write my "story" of how much I despised high school. It felt like I never would get over it, but overtime I did.

Do the best you can now and think about the good times, try to avoid the bad times and use those as learning experience. Best of luck to you in your future.

Off topic: I work as an IT tech at the local school district. During my training, they had me go to various school sites to meet with the other techs and see how they run things and so on. One of the schools I went to was my old high school. I found it kind of ironic that I got to work in the place I despised so much when I was a junior.

• Laurie

Living in the past solves nothing.

Live in the present, with an eye toward the future.

Schools are for getting an education, not for amusement. You're so ungrateful.

No one has a high school experience like the ones depicted in movies and tv shows. Almost no one goes to parties at fancy houses where everyone gets drunk and has sex. You're unhappy about an unrealistic expectation. Get over it.