Where to put toys when you don't want them in your living room and the kids bedroom is too small to fit much of anything in there?

NO basement, no play room, no family room, nothing. Just two bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, small kitchen and average sized living room. I have 2 six year olds who constantly play with their toys in the living room. It is always so cluttered and while they are playing it looks like a tornado hit it. I can't stand looking at it but unless i hole up in the bedroom and leave them unsupervised, there is no way to avoid it? Organizing tips? How to make extra space in a small bedroom.

Two ways:

1)  Get rid of half your stuff.   The half no one has touched or used in the past 30 days; and

2)  Teach the kids to take out one thing, play with it, then put it away.   If you want to let them have a "tornado session" on a Saturday morning, fine.  But the rest of the time of course it's going to look like a tornado if you let them get out the Legos and the Lincoln Logs and the dress up stuff and the books and the board games and the cars and the stuffed animals.    Teach them to clean as they go.

One thing I found effective in my house was to put a cardboard box in my closet.   Anything that was left laying around the house I picked up and it disappeared into my box.   If someone wanted it back, they had to do a chore.   If they didn't want to do the chore, they didn't get the thing back.   Anything that was in the box after 30 days went to Goodwill.

• Love that idea! I am going to try that. My kids whine and complain about picking up all the time. 

What kind of bed do you have in their bedroom? How small is it? Can you put some on them under the table?

• What you need are soft RULES, they are six and can understand every word you say. Put it away or no more toys. Have a toy box or those pull out boxes that goes under the bed, one that hangs on a door. Not sure what you do while they play but there has to be some supervision and check on them when they need to be checked. I work with children and I've seen parents who allow the children to do whatever they like. No offense but big mistake because these habits will continue and eventually you will be making their beds, doing their laundry, cleaning constantly or the house will be a disaster. Been there, seen that and hope parents have implemented rules. 'Let's play in the park  but put the toys away'. Rules will not hurt your children it will hone them.

Source(s): onecrazymom.com

I found that if you organize the toys in such a way, storage, play time and clean up can be a breeze.

Organize the toys so they fit in containers with lids that can be stacked.  For instance, the legos go in one tub with a cover.  Cars or dolls go in another container.  The containers can stack for storage or be placed on wall shelving, neatly put away and off of the  floor. 

The key to avoid the "toy bomb look" is to teach your children that they can play with only one toy at a time and that toy has to be picked up and put back in it's place before another toy can be played with.  This way, you have controlled chaos.

I kept a toy chest in our living room.  In it was containers of toys.  Those containers were frequently switched out with other containers that were kept in the bedroom.  This way, everything (all pieces and parts to each toy) remain together and organized, fingertip ready to play with. 

It takes dedication to sort through the toys and put them in the right size containers, but it is well worth it once you see all those great stacks of containers neatly together and ready to pull out and enjoy.

Is the closet space in the bedroom being utilized to the best of it's ability?  Do your children even NEED space to HANG their clothes?  If they can fold things and put them in a dresser, the closet is a perfect place to create a shelving system for toy containers.

• Common Sense

You can create storage space with wall shelving so no floor space is used. One new toy in, one old toy out.

When you're short on space in your rooms and there is a lot of stuff to store, think "UP" for storage. You can buy large cargo nets, which hang on the wall above your furniture, for storing things that are not too heavy--such as dolls, stuffed animals and other lighter items. The nets will contain the mess, but free up floor space. Another good idea is a bin-rack--with plastic or fabric bins that can contain any smaller items--legos, toy cars, game pieces, etc. And the other poster has some great ideas about teaching the kids to put things away when they're done with them. Make a game out of sorting and storing--don't let the kids just walk away from messes they create. It's a constant battle sometimes--especially small kids will resist, but it's worth teaching them that they should not leave their stuff laying around. They can be taught to have ONE toy out at a time, and put it back when they want another one. That' s not hard, but it takes some effort on your part to keep it up. 

• Thanks, everything is in a bin in several nine cube organizers. The fact is I don't want them there at all. The only solution is a bigger house, so I guess i'm SOL. I do not want any toys at all in my living room ever. They are meant for a playroom, basement, family room, etc... 

Get a wicker basket from a craft store and keep them in there.

• DEBS

1. Why would you need to supervise your children that closely in your own home? They're 6 YEARS old; not 6 days.

2. Get shelving and/or nice boxes that go under the bed to fit everything in in the bedroom. At the end of a day or play period, teach your kids the toys get put away or they get taken away.

3. Cut down the number of toys. If they don't fit in the boxes/shelves you build for them, then no new toys. Make them decide It's a great lesson for them.

• We don't have under the bed storage because we have dresser beds with drawers all around instead of dressers since we are short on space. Also, my daughter is special needs. She cannot be left alone for more than a few minutes. 

• A

I have a small house and my rule on furniture is that it has to be worth the space it occupys. How about a bench that has storage and is also a seat? or a trunk as a coffee table? find something to store the toys that also can act as additional seating or table space.

• We too have storage beds with 6 drawer, but we need them for clothing, socks, under garments and dress up clothes. No room for toys in there. 

Your kids need something to play with. You could use a closet, but a big container will do. Something spacious may solve your problem.

Why bother? You can have a neat house when they grow up. If you can't stand it, but some big containers and use those.not shove the toys in a closet.