Is it normal to sleep late or not?

I often sleep very late, not because I want too but I just can’t sleep early. If it were up to me I’d be sleeping at like 9pm every night but I can’t just magically fall asleep any time I want. Lately I’ve been sleeping at 7-9am. Even if I put my games and phone away it doesn’t make a difference as I continue to toss and turn for many hours until I fall asleep very late as usual. My problem is my mom. She gets extremely mad everyday always filling my day up with negativity. She stays mad the entire day and she’s just so toxic. And unfortunately it happens everyday as I cannot sleep early even though I wish I could. She says it’s my fault that I choose to sleep late cause I’m playing games the entire time and using my phone which is simply not true. She says ANYONE can sleep at anytime they want and to stop acting as if I’m an animal. She says every single person sleeps early besides me, which is such an ignorant thing to say. I feel like a have a problem like maybe I have insomnia and she just keeps punishing me with negativity and toxicity and always blames me everyday. She keeps talking to me as if I choose to sleep late and that’s so extremely irritating cause I’d love to be able to sleep early. I’m so tired of this so I need advice, does anyone else have sleeping issues? If so what can you do about that and is it normal or not? 

It is not normal to sleep late. That is to say, you have to go to bed at a normal time if you wish for a healthy lifestyle, because sleep duration matters in your daily life; therefore, it is always better to go to bed on time, and thus, you can be fresh and energetic after waking up every morning.

Stop using anything with a screen one hour before bedtime.  Read a book, listen to music, work on a simple craft or crossword puzzle - anything that doesn't involve looking at a screen.

Avoid eating for at least one hour before bed.  (two is better).  

Make sure  your room is dark and cool.  Turning on a fan or some other "white noise" helps some people sleep.  You might try white noise - otherwise, avoid noises.  (so no listening to music or tv as you try to go to sleep.

Set an alarm for the next morning and no matter what time you fall asleep - get up the next morning and stay up.  Keep yourself busy.  When you stop sleeping in late in the mornings, you might have an easier time going to bed at night.

As for what is "normal" - I do honestly believe that some people are "wired" differently and those people prefer to stay up very late at night and prefer to sleep during the morning and early afternoon.  Personally, I sleep the best from about 6 am until around 1 or 2 pm during the day.  I am perfectly suited for working the night shift.  Anytime I have ever tried to work a daytime job, I have all kinds of problems sleeping at night but when I sleep during the morning and early part of the day, I sleep very well.  I also had problems as a teen and would often stay awake until 3 or 4 am and sleep until noon the next day.  I was really only getting 8 hours of sleep, but to my parents, it looked like I was sleeping all the time.  (they didn't realize I was staying up after they went to bed)  If you are happiest when you are awake late and sleeping in during the morning, then you need to pick a job or career that lets you have night shift hours.  Nursing would be a great example of a decent career that would have night shift options.  (I have worked a night shift job for about 25 years of my adult life.  I love it.)

• Stella

How does this affect your life?

If you're constantly missing school then I can understand her irritation.

On the other hand, if you have a work schedule that fits in with this then I don't see a big problem.

Unless you are insisting on quiet in the house while you're asleep

• Rick B

take a benadryl and/or some melatonin an hour before you want to be asleep. Make sure your room is cold and dark.

• Tomi2 months agoReport

Warmth works for me more than a cold room. In summer time, that's the only time cool is needed.

What you can do about it is called "self discipline". Buy an alarm clock, set the alarm for whatever time you want to get up, get up when alarm goes off.  Sure you'll be tired for a day or two, but your sleep patterns will change and you'll start going to sleep earlier.

It's better not to have an abnormal sleep schedule.