Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTeen & Preteen · 5 months ago

Will I grow taller ?

I am 16 and almost 5'4. I started puberty at the age of 12. I didn't receive any major growth spurt between 12-15. I grew normally like other kids of my age, who did'nt begin puberty at that time . But after my 15th birthday my growth slowed to such an extent that I have hardly grown 2 inches since then. 

I have a little amount of facial hair and lots of pubic hair . Also, I can see fine hair on my stomach. My father is also 5'4 and my mother is 4'8. Does it means that I will end up being short , I want to state that my father was malnourished during his teenage years and the same happened his father and siblings. Is there any chance that I will grow taller if I start taking care of my diet and physical activity? I really want to grow taller as everyone in my locality, from 8-17 years age group is suppressing my height.

• Faithe

Your adult height depends on your parents' and their parents' heights - as determined genetically - not taking into account things like malnourishment ...so, if he was genetically programmed to be taller but ended up shorter because of malnourishment, you inherit the genes to be that amount taller.

Since you never had a growth spurt, it's impossible to know right now whether you will still get it (I know a boy who at 16 had a boy's face and body, and then the summer he turned 17 completely changed) or whether you are now pretty close to your full height. Since your growth has slowed, I'm afraid I would guess the latter.

The thing is to make the most out of the body you're given. I generally go for guys a few inches taller than myself, but was asked out by a guy around my height (I'm pretty short myself) who had really worked out and had a broad chest and shoulders. He also had a great personality. Between the two of those things, his height no longer mattered to me. In general, people with good posture and a confident attitude APPEAR taller than they are - or at least make others not think about their height.

Your father ended up having a good life despite his height, right? I bet you can find lots and lots of other guys who hated the thought of being below average height but who ended up realizing it didn't impact their lives at all. Your mental mindset will make much more of a difference.

You'll probably end up between 5'4" and 5' 6". It could be worse. You could have a curved spine or not full use of all your limbs. Keep whatever body you have healthy and in good shape and be a thoughtful, friendly, and confident person and you'll be a lot happier with your life than you imagine.

• L

Height continues until 18-20 years of age.

• Edna

My advice to you is to buy a dictionary and use it. Everyone in your age group isn't "suppressing" your height; they're  "surpassing" your height. 

To "suppress" something means to put an end to it; to prevent the development of something.  To "surpass" means to exceed or be greater than something..

Your 16 so you will grow more. My dad is 5'8 and my mom is 5'3. My brother ended up being 6 feet tall. So genetics doesnt always determine height. Im 5'4 a female and 32. Dont worry there is still time to grow

i was 5'4-5'5 when i was that age. i am still 5'5 at age 28. good luck. if you're lucky you only have like 1 more inch left. but then again, i'm a girl. looking at your parents height tho, it's unlikely you will grow taller

yeah youll maybe get to 5'6 your parents are really short though so idk

Your ability to grow is based on whether or not the growth plates in your bones are soft/open.  When your growth plates fuse, your bones can't get longer and you can't grow taller.  This usually happens at the end of puberty. 

The only way to know if you're growth plates are open is to have an x-ray.  Feel free to ask your family doctor the next time you are in.  That fact that both of your parents are of short stature suggests that you will also be. Sorry.