REAL asked in TravelIndiaOther - India · 2 months ago

If you have traveled abroad, what you have observed there in the nature of people which your people in your own country are lacking?

Dressing for the place.  Many Americans (in particular) seem to think that they should dress like they are going to Disney no matter where they go.  In many countries, t-shirts are for the beach or working outside, but not typical day-wear.  Same thing with cargo shorts, halter tops, etc.  I was at the Sistine chapel, and despite signs, I saw women in halter and tube tops.  I'm an atheist, so I don't care on a religious level, but I do believe you should treat people and places with respect.

Even in the Caribbean, local people are pretty conservative.  I'll wear a t-shirt at the beach, but a collared shirt when I'm in a town, restaurant, etc.  It isn't that difficult to do a little research on local customs and to abide by them.  

I've observed kindness, wherever I have been, including parts of the US.

• A.J.

I traveled in China and Japan, and found that people actually care about each other. Many places in the world still have a personal humanity which is lacking here among Americans.