Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Would you recommend a Frigidaire washer and dryer from Home Depot?

Why not?  Frigidaire is a GREAT brand - no matter where you buy it from.

The major brand appliances that Home Depot sells are models made specifically for Home Depot, at a lower price point to match the quality of the products.  

You will often find that Home Depot will promise that their appliance prices cannot be beat and they offer price guarantees or money back if you find the same model elsewhere at a cheaper price.  However, you will never find that same model sold elsewhere because it is specifically produced JUST for Home Depot.  Most people do not realize this is a sales gimmick.

Having that been said, buy the best you can afford.

No no no

Buy nothing at lowes or home depot in reference to appliances.

Go to a real appliance store that sales high end appliances  ...Speed Queen is what you want.

They are not fancy, they are basic white machines but hold a heavy load and wash in 20 mins.

Front loader washer takes 45 mins to wash and you can't open door.

Get both appliances in the Speed Queen spend the money it's worth it. I've had mine 9 years with zero repairs washing an average of 10 loads a week.

While you are their check out the Bouch dishwashers they are the quietest on the market you can hear them working.

• Kirbee

No - the best washer and dryers are Speed Queen. Stay away from water savers 

• something fishy

Rarely do people know appliances they buy what looks pretty. We have excellent appliances and we know it.

• elhigh

At one time Frigidaire was extremely reliable, but I no longer hold that view.

Where you get your appliances from is essentially immaterial, by the way.

My recommendation is that you get the lowest-tier models with the fewest added features. Added features can seem nice but they're also added points of failure. Water dispenser, ice maker, internet connection that tells you you're out of sour cream - this things can break down and then there you are with a fridge you paid extra for, but no longer have extra OF. It still works as a fridge, of course, but not all of what you paid for is working.

I paid extra for an ice maker. Sure enough, it is the one feature of my fridge that has given more trouble than any other part of the fridge. I've replaced a defrost timer once, and a break-on-rise switch once, and an evaporator fan once. But the icemaker I've had apart about four times in 20 years.

So for the washer, what do you really need? High efficiency models don't do a better job of washing than conventional washers, and have a few niggling details that make them a little harder to live with. Extra cycles, delay starts, chemical dispensing capacity? My three-year-old LG front loader has a lot of that stuff and so far I only ever set the machine for Permanent Press/Regular, cold water only, hit START and walk away. For decades we got things done by dumping a bit of detergent in at the beginning and pressing START, things worked well enough. Those other features can cause problems.

I have some very nice front load Speed Queen commercial machines in one of my facilities, they are very reliable except when detergent or fabric softener clogs the holes in the very dispensers that are intended for the purpose! Then the machines pee all over the floor.

Choose the simplest, least-complicated machines you can find. You'll be better off.

They aren't terrible but you can get a better whirlpool set for the same money. 

• y

Hit or miss, new models don't have enough of a track record to know really, anything about them. All manufactures now a days seem to have lemons here and there. Construction now is not the same nor the same materials as yesterday. So the history of manufactures no longer plays into either.  Best you can do is search the models, the issues about the ones you are interested in, then take a shot.

Home depot, lowes, whatever, are pretty much the same as you'll find in the appliance store.

Consumer Reports brand reliability:

top-load agitator washers

#1 Speed Queen

#2 Whirlpool, Maytag, and Kenmore

HE top-load washers

#1 LG

#2 Maytag and Kenmore

Front-load washers

#1 LG

#2 Maytag

Frigidaire is not mentioned in their report, but Frigidaire is made by Electrolux. That brand is only mentioned in the front-load section and does NOT have high-ranking reliability or customer satisfaction.

Kenmore washers and dryers are made by GE or Whirlpool

• something fishy

Thanks for the info I didnt realize that.

• Sandy

If you like the brand, see if you can get the model someplace cheaper. I don't like buying appliances and things like furnace and water heaters from Home Depot, because you will pay Home Depot AND pay the subcontractors they use to deliver and install the appliance. so you may as well cut out the middleman and buy directly from a store like ABT or Sears, who deliver and install.  

I only buy Whirlpool or Kenmore which were whirlpool years ago but you'd best to google Frigidaire washer and dryer reviews before purchasing.

• AskZilla

Unbelievably ignorant comment. OMG! Whirlpool has been making appliances for Kenmore for decades. Kenmore is a trademark owned by Sears Holdings. Sears doesn't make anything. Kenmore has also had its washers made by LG