Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 months ago

Should I seek reimbursement from a now ex-friend I paid to go on a vacation with me?

My fiancé and I had planned on eloping in Colorado end of January and invited two of our closest friends on the trip with us. We paid for everyone's flights, hotel, and car rental. We had to postpone our elopement due to financial reasons and planning it too much too soon but decided to go on the trip anyways. My friend made the trip almost unbearable with her attitude. She picked fights and at one point called me a spoiled brat..which I found ironic considering she was there because of me and also bragged before the trip that her mom slipped her money "like she always does". 

I'll admit we weren't on the best of terms before the trip started but not to the extreme that I would have felt the need to disinvite her. 

After we got back from the trip she deleted me off of all social media and even stood me up for a concert we had planned on going to together for my birthday.

I am very upset and I feel like she used me to go on the trip. What would you do if you were in my situation?

• Alan H

You paid for the trip by choice.

Undoubtedly you now regret it but you have no legal redress.

Whyever did you want friends with you on such an occasion anyhow?

Put it behind you and learn from it

You have lived through an expensive life lesson.  If things hadn't gone badly, you wouldn't expect her to reimburse you.  If she cost you any unexpected expense, like the fight prevented you from enjoying a specific part of the trip you already paid for (local tourist attraction, specific event like a concert), then you might have some reason to get paid back for that.  Aren't you glad she didn't ruin your wedding?

Be glad to be rid of her.  

You invited her and paid without her hedging you at all how is she using you.  If she acted a snot the whole time you can't ask her for money now.  Tell her how you feel and talk it out with her.  You can ask her for money if you want but I don't agree she was using you.  You put yourself in that position.

Did you get anything in writing, audio or video if not doubt courts would do anything about it. Was there ever a stipulation that they pay you back or you wanted to pay for the trip until the friendship ended.

I have had hundreds of friends throughout the years. Some of these friendships ended very badly. If its truly that bad, and it sounds like it is, break off all contact immediately. It wasn't meant to be. People change, through the years, your choice of friends will also change. BTW, she owes you nothing. Just get away from her permanently. Do not look back. 

i believe to do so would be like picking up a fight. you did invite her and she did come as you asked - now you did not like they way things turned out so if you try to collect from her the cost of the trip i think she would be shocked.

What I would do is write that friend off for good, and realize that the end of the friendship was her loss, not mine.

• Kelly

No, this is a trip you invited and offered to pay for her.  You don't seek a refund because it didn't go the way you planned.

You didn't plan an elopement but a small destination wedding and really despite the mishaps it really didn't need to stop you from getting married.

It's not uncommon to go on a trip with a friend then have friendship troubles later.  I went on a trip to Hawaii with 7 other women and I'd never do that again.  Most of us are still friends, however there's a couple who were miserable and friendships with them have been strained since and then one of them nobody really talks to anymore.  We rented a big house on the ocean and 8 different opinions on everything was too much.  You have the people who go with the flow and aren't bothered by much, the people who want to control everything and then the people who want to complain about everything.  2 of them were straight up competing for who got to make coffee and breakfast in the morning.

Lesson learned -- more than 2 is too many on a trip (in most cases) so chalk this up as experience and move on.

No you should not seek reimbursement.   She doesn't owe you anything.  You voluntarily paid for her trip.  It was a gift, not a loan.

By the way, what you describe is a small destination wedding, not an elopement.

• Sandy

sounds to me like she's jealous you got married. did you discuss all of these plans with her beforehand, gauge her reaction to see if she was okay with you getting married? or did you just spring it on her and expect her to go?