goring
goring asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 2 months ago

do most students understand Einstein's space time Field equations?

No, .most students do NOT understand them. Most students do NOT understand inertial frames of reference, coordinate systems, the concept of scale" of size, time dilation, the concepts of "relativity" and "objectivity" or critical, logical thinking, special relativity and general relativity.

"most students" implies ALL students, so no they wouldn't.

All physics students: no, most are studying basic concepts.

But if you say most 'physics major students', I would think most of them end up studying relativity and understand it quite well.

Most students don't !!!

• Given Albert Einstein had such a high IQ relative to the average human,  even though IQ measurement  is not a very good measure of actual intelligence, it is a reasonable measure of logical understanding.....an IQ and a level of understanding,  which i would estimate is considerably above that of   "most" students.....so my answer would be no they don't

• Tom

No. They just pretend to so that they can pass it, and not have to deal with it any more.

• NONAME

no,..no one understands this stuff...we just get a baby version of it and go Ohhh ooo  wow.. what a universe

• neb

Of course physicists understand the field equations.

• Amy

Most students have never encountered them. I for one only got as far as special relativity.

• Dixon

I think students that get to actually study them as part of a physics degree will understand them. I've not studied them myself but my impression is that the mathematics is horrendous to solve but understanding what the equations mean is relatively ok. You could say much the same about Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism.

IMHO the mind melters are really Special Relativity and QM. After that you are pretty much prepared to accept anything.

No. Students is an extremely broad term. Anyone who studies anything at all is a student. Hillbillies out in the middle of nowhere, who won't ever even learn basic math but study wildlife around them, are students. Schoolkids under high school age are pretty much guaranteed to know nothing about physics.