Why do SSD prices increase?

Why do SSD get more expensive per GB after the 500 GB mark? For example, your regular Samsung 860 EVO with V-NAND TLC based Architecture would cost around 55$ for 250 GB and around 85 -95$ for 500 GB. But after this mark, when reaching for 1 TB and above, it suddenly gets up to over 200$, which makes no sense. The price per GB decreased when going from 250 to 500 GB, but then increased back when going from 500 GB to 1 TB. I am very well aware of the conversion units, that 1 TB is meant as 1000 GB which translates to around 931 Gibibytes, etc., and technically, it should decrease even more. Should be around 160-170$ for one TB. So, why the increase instead??

Thank you for all responses in advance. 

I don't know where you're looking but I can still get a 1tb 860 EVO for less than $150, whereas the 500gb version is $80. A 2tb 860 EVO is about $285 on amazon.

It does appear that these drives might be going back up in price. A month ago I bought another 1tb 860 EVO for $140. Speculators say the prices of DRAM and Flash memory are going to rise this year, due to cell phones using more RAM and Flash memory and the Flash memory and GDDR6 memory that will be used in the new gaming consoles. It would make sense for the 250gb drive to be more expensive since the production cost for the controller, PCB, and case are going to be the same no matter what size the drive is.

There are 2 factors at play here.

1. The listing you see of 1tb, 2tb, and 4tb drives are from 3rd party retailers who always charge more than MSRP.

2. Understanding that only a handful of companies make Flash and DRAM Memory and that these memory modules are sold as a commodity. This means the price of memory modules fluctuates. If you've been paying attention to hardware for more than a few years, then you will remember 16gb of low quality DDR4 RAM going for $150, and a premium 500gb SSD going for $150 just a couple years ago.

• Pyrus

Hey. I'm looking on Aliexpress. Unfortunately, of all the countries out there, Lebanon is one of the very few countries to which Amazon doesn't deliver. I don't know how to get it to deliver to here, especially when it concerns electronics/storage/PC parts, etc. 

Performance increases with size. The more GB the faster the SSD will be due to the NAND process they use. A larger SSD can communicate on more lanes so to speak. Large solid-state drives come with improved rack density, workload consolidation, and overall scale, as well as other key benefits. 

• Pyrus

That is not correct. Performance stagnates after a certain capacity. If the SSD is starting from the 32 GB limit, then yes, it does increase up to 256 GBs. After that, almost all SSDs stagnate in speed. Some stagnate at the 128 GB limit. 

I got a 1 TB SSD for US$150.  You are getting gouged.

because people are willing to pay, that's why

Prices are often reflective of supply and demand, even though sometimes its about a more expensive process being used. Video cards are a great example, where prices went through the roof when demand dramatically increased due to bit coin mining. It may be that they don't produce as many high GB ssd's, thus less supply and more demand that raises prices.

With those prices, I'd say it's dealers artificially keeping the cost high to get rid of stock of older / smaller types. Or just as that's what they can get for them..

A 1TB SSD (2.5" form factor) in England is presently around £110, so about $145

(And things like this USA are generally nearer $1 = £1 in the UK).

Example prices:

Samsung 860 QVO SATA III 2.5 inch 1TB SSD = £109.97

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD = £110.64

https://www.ebuyer.com/871714-samsung-860-qvo-sata...

https://www.ebuyer.com/822479-crucial-mx500-1tb-ss...

• Pyrus

Hmm, not bad! I'll check if they deliver to my country. 

• opurt

Higher density memory chips are more expensive to manufacture, or at least are sold for higher prices, making SSDs that use those chips cost more per GB. 

Computer art prices fluxuate and it depends what ssd you choose too. if its nvme m.2 or sata or 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch. I have a laptop with a nvme ssd and had a 2.5 inch hard drive and i switched the ahrd drive with an ssd and the nvme with a 970 evo plus with more space so it depends what brand and what kind too

Supply and demand

It's new technology, Paki.

• Pyrus

@Just Wondering0001 Yes, I know. I actually did check at Microcenter, but the problem is that they don't deliver to my country, or at least outside of the US, the last I checked. I saw some good offers on Amazon, but again, they don't deliver to my country. It's Lebanon, by the way.