Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 2 months ago

Is it difficult to get a job as a train driver in the UK?

I have always worked for myself, but I have now stopped my own business and I am considering becoming a train driver.

After the necessary training, would it be difficult to get a job as a train driver in the UK?

Where do you think you will get your training?

“After the necessary training” a job is guaranteed, because that’s the ONLY reason a train operating company spends thousands of £s to train new drivers.

The difficult bit is getting accepted for training and passing the course. It’s always been a very popular job because of the excellent pay and benefits, vacancies don’t come up that often, and the interview and selection process is pretty tough to pass as the employers have the luxury of being able to be very choosy due to the sheer numbers of applicants.

When jobs are advertised and you’ve passed the interviews, medicals, and other selection processes, you normally go onto a waiting list to start training as there’s only so many training places available at any one time and only so many current vacancies. It is not unusual to end up waiting for more than a year before you actually get the invitation to attend driver training.

You don't drive a train you stop and go

• Oiy

You have to wait for HS2.