I was given this trumpet, this tuning slide changes the tuning of the trumpet from Bb to A but I don’t know how to get it to go. Any help?

Perhaps you should put it in the shop and let the professionals take care of it.

what a cool old trumpet. do you have any more pictures?

is it locked where it doesn't move, or are you asking how to know where specifically to place it to be in tune? if the former, you might just be stuck with its current position, i'd try to run valve oil along the joints and to clean the inside from the other side if possible. if the latter, just get a tuning app on your phone and dial it into the spot as best as you can.

First of all it needs a good cleaning. Some of the connections might be too tight for you to safely do on your own. That means a good shop should look at it. Also - go in Yahoo Groups and find a forum where you are talking to trumpet players! Give them all the specs - make, model, couple of good photos. YA is usually too general for questions like yours.

I would think that that setscrew would hold the side in the correct position for the chosen pitch. But again - I would not try any solvents or lubes I own to do that! Shame to ruin it! We are career pros and there is easily over 100 grand worth iof musical instruments in this house - we leave ALL the work to fine pros!