Toshiba laptop wont come on?

Its a Toshiba satellite C55-A5105 laptop...it fell off desk..now wont turn on..as opening covers i seen hinge was laying on circuit for power button..before i looked wife tried to start wonder if possible short in system do to that..i have a new battery so no issue there..ok wont turn on..no led lights..no beeps,fans nothing dead..what i did took volt meter checked charger cord..19v...plugged cord in 19v at plug..19v at plug to motherboard an 19v to backside of plug on motherboard board...i tried with battery in and out unplugging everything connected to motherboard 1 at a time still no leds light..beeps..fan or anything im leading to believe bad motherboard...any help be greatly appreciated an thanks for any advice..

Also looked over all circuit boards no burns or smells

the technical term for that is broken , it may be un-repairable , you can do this to a $3000 new laptop and it turns instantly to junk since most connections are too small to repair by hand , try a repair shop but the repair ( $100+ per hour) can cost more than a new laptop which was manufactured using labor at $20 an hour

• Dick

Personally, I would suspect the MoBo also. Since you say that the metal hinge was lying on the circuitry with 19V applies I would suspect a short circuit somewhere on the board. It sounds to me like no power is getting to the motherboard at all. Do you know if the laptop is fused anywhere at all??? Check out the Maintenance & Service Manual which is available for download on the Toshiba website, in the Support, then Downloads section. Generally speaking that 19 volts is converted downwards to 12v and 5v in almost all circuits in the computer. So if the hinge created a direct line for the 19v to go to 12 and 5 volt components you've most likely fried one or more of them. A new motherboard is generally an expensive fix since it normally includes a soldered on CPU. The Maint & Svc manual will tell you how to replace the MoBo step by step but it is a substantial disassembly. I'd find out the cost of the new MoBo on amazon.com; review the Maint & Svc manual to decide if you think you can do it or not; and price a new laptop. Hope this helps some.

this needs a technician's attention

• Cathy

I had the same problem.  I disassembled it.  The hinge power switch was disconnected.  I glued it back in place.  It was worked fine since.  I am much more careful when I press the power switch.

• Michael2 months agoReport

That hinge was broke make sense...gonna try..thanks

Hahahahahahaha........What you said is even worse!

You just proved how irresponsible you are in a very funny way.

I just, so happen to live with dogs, and not one of them has ever done that Michael.

I bet if you had a baby you would grab it by his, or her ankles, and then somehow let go of your baby, so he, or she would drop on his, or her head to possibly die. My point is laptops are a little more fragile than babies.

I own several laptops. I ---> NEVER <--- dropped any of my laptops, and

it ---> NEVER <--- fell off of anything either.

IF you have ever seen anyone that works on those, they use a microscope and FLIR camera to see what is wrong after they have probed the board for voltages. It is better for you to replace either the MB or the whole unit.

Ran a computer store and fixed many laptops. So you did take the battery out, plugged in power supply and still nothing? Is the on/off button ok? A short can melt mb etching but that an be repaired by soldering a jumper wire. Make sure 19V are making it to mb. Have seen falls break power supply connector.

If you can, take mb out and try to hook everything up and see if it starts that way. Maybe on/off connection severed or button bad.

Could be the adapter or power connector. Not much I can say other than refer you to a repair service.

Take it to a qualified computer repair service. It is obviously damaged beyond any type of "quick fix".

• k w

try pulling out the battery for minute then put it back in, you can also try the outlet, plug it in to see...if not, then you can tell that to micro-center or who ever is close by that knows computers......I just remembered, some of them have an onboard fuse, it may have come loose and may be rattling around inside, look it up on youtube on how to disassemble it and have a look yourself....