Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

Would you buy a Hotpoint Washer and Dryer set for $950 from Home Depot?

Hotpoint appliances are made by Whirlpool. At less than $1,000 for both this seems to be a good buy. 

I bought LG W&D a year ago ($1500 delivered, installed, and old one removed), and am very happy with it. Depends on your needs, budget, warranty, and what consumer magazines say and recommend.

Heck no you can buy good used washers and dryers delivered to your house for $300 for the set don't even take your old washer and dryer away.

Nope, I buy reconditioned Kenmore Series 70 from the 1990's. May use a little more water, but my set @ $225.00 can be replaced four times for less and are 13 years into service after reconditioning with $8.00 worth of repairs I did myself, (agitator dogs/cogs.) And water is relatively cheap, and because they last, parts are still easily available..

• Alex

Yes I would. They're not bad and two machines (Washer and Dryer) for under a grand is pretty good.

I would if (1) they had the features I wanted, that I was willing to pay that much for, and (2) alternatives either didn't have those features or cost a lot more.

Brands of home appliances don't mean as much as they used to.  These days they're all made in the same Chinese factories, so nobody has an especially great reputation for reliability or longevity.

At one time Hotpoint made excellent appliances. I am not sure about what they are making today. If it is made by whirlpool then it is probably a good buy. If it is made by Haier I would pass. I don't think Hotpoint is their own company these days.