Jess
Jess asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Boyfriends dog has fleas and he wants to bring him over I'm afraid my cats will get fleas?

His dad takes care of my bfs dog and hes going on vacation so my boyfriend is going to be taking care of the dog.  The dog has had fleas since forever cause they don't know how to get rid of them.  My cat had fleas a long time ago and it was a nightmare to get rid of them and I never want to go though it again.  My bf keeps arguing that he will bring the dog over here regardless and that my cats will be fine and hes not listening.  What do I do? Im afraid if I go to work or something he'll just bring the dog over then even though ive strictly told him no and explained to him. 

Definitely, The flea carrier should be dipped with a flea treatment. We had to dip the cat, when the visiting dog came to visit, and gave my Persian fleas. We dipped him with a flea treatment , and they fell off like "crazy". Sometimes it has to be done twice, but not always. After the dog is free of fleas, get the dog a flea collar

He needs to get the dog treated and you need to dump your boyfriend.

Don't let him bring indoors unless you want to get rid of your cats. 

• Sky

Are you genuinely this much of a stupid pushover that you're going to let your boyfriend tell you what you will and won't allow in your house?  Do not allow your boyfriend or his dog into your house until the flea issue is eliminated (your BF probably would have fleas on himself, too).  Deadbolt the door if you have to, and if he tries forcing his way into your home, call the police immediately.

Tell the boyfriend that the dog may come to your house only after he takes the dog to the vet and gets flea treatment there. If you want to be extra sure, do the same for your cat. I said to take the animals to the vet, because that's the only place you will get safe and effective flea prevention medication.

I'm afraid it would be the boyfriend that would be gone if this was me.  It's not only about your cat it's about your home as getting rid of fleas from inside a home is hard and he is being truly selfish to expect you to accommodate the dog in that condition.  

Either he gets a good flea treatment and gets rid of them or he doesn't come in the house would be my answer to him. 

Dump the loser. Someone that doesn't respect you certainly doesn't love you. Get a clue.

• E. H. Amos

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If both the dog and the cats are in date with tick flea purges you should face no problems other than the dying   or sterilsed fleas that jump off the dog ( and they will die relatively quickly should they be vet bought and correctly dosed purges also )

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd his dogs and flock
  • mokrie

Tell him the second he walks in with the dog to immediately put it in the tub and wash him well with whatever soap you use. It will kill the fleas. If your boyfriend does not listen to you or respect your wishes then he's a lousy boyfriend and you should think about dumping him.

• ZotsRule

And meanwhile all the fleas that hopped off the dog - AND off the boyfriend since they're usually on his clothes - will have hopped into the carpet and soon would start breeding.

• oikoσ

Insist that the dog be treated with Nexgard first. The dog's fleas may avoid the cats but lunch on you.