How is Alexa updating without a wifi connection?

The last two Echo Show devices I bought started downloading updates as soon as I plugged them in, without having yet configured the wifi settings or password.  I thought it may have been possible, although disturbing, that they came pre-programmed with my wifi settings and password; however, the second one I turned on was out of range from my wifi network.  Does Alexa have a cellular chip built in that no one is talking about?  

Since this is an Amazon device have you contacted them and went over what you have written here. 

Here's some videos you can watch - https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.ht...

I know nothing about these devices but devices like your phone or your laptop can be configured to connect to unsecured wireless hotspots so it is possible that your Echo is connecting to one of those after you have plugged the unit in but Echo support would be who you should really ask.

she probably has wifi connection or she wouldnt be able to update

It probably has a program already installed that does not require wifi to update or use.

Is it not using your phone internet connection when you connect to the Alexa to set it up and configure it maybe? 

• George

My wife's new Alexa got chewed up by my dog. what a naughty doggie I have! Good boy!¬