Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

Was I out of line in this situation?

I have a 16 year old son who’s a junior at a public high school. He was just suspended for 2 weeks because he said that if a school shooting occurred, we would be out of school. A mother called the principals office very upset and worried. I was so mad because my son has told me about a teacher who said he wants Mexican students to succeed in class and we are not Hispanic but the school is predominantly Hispanic. He’s also told me students have made much worse comments about shootings without being suspended. They told me to take him for a psych evaluation but I refuse and I told the principal this is America not Mexico and he kicked us off the campus and accused me of calling him a racist. I’m complaining to the school board, but I would like to know what I can do differently to get my son back in school without hospitalizing him and where I can go from here?

Before the suspension, my son heard another student say “I don’t want to take this test. I would rather shoot up the school. That sounds more fun. That’s what I’m going to do on April 20th, on the anniversary of columbine.” No one cared a Hispanic student literally threatened to shoot up the school. 

They just cancelled the suspension after a week

• Tom

He should've kept quiet in the first place.

always go to police when you hear threats

I'd start by having a conversation with your son in which you ask him why he said what he did. If it was an attempt at humor (and it may have been) it obviously has misfired on him. If, however, he was at all serious, you have a potential problem on your hands.

I'm not surprised that the other student's parent reacted the way she did. Making jokes about school shootings is as dangerous as talking about carrying a gun or a bomb at the airport, especially these days. It's something that can get one put in prison VERY QUICKLY. Your son is learning this the hard way. Both you and he should consider yourselves lucky that the principal of the school didn't immediately turn around and call the cops, and have your son hauled off to jail for making that kind of remark. It's not going to kill him to serve a suspension, and it might just teach him to keep his remarks about shootings to himself next time.

I would be very careful if I were you. I would try to deescalate things as much as possible. I know it's upsetting that a teacher would express their desire for Hispanic students to succeed, but they may have been sympathizing with minorities that aren't as privileged. 

Getting the school board involved may not be in you're best interest. They would take the shooting thing very seriously. If they aren't aware about the situation they might try to enforce a harsher punishment. Such as expulsion or getting the authorities involved to force a psych evaluation and mental health services. They will most likely try to make you pay for it as well.

I know this doesn't create peace of mind with the teacher and the principle, but I would call and apologize about saying this is America not Mexico. Even if you are right that the teacher shouldn't have expressed this. A disagreement between a teacher and a parent is nothing compared to the comment from your son in high school; even if it was taken from a what-if chit chat scenario. Tell them you had a serious talk with your son and that, you told him you shouldn't even talk hypothetically about those kinds of things.(Actually talk to him, because it won't be good if this happens again.) 

I know, its dumb, that teacher shouldn't say things like that, but guess what. Your child's future is more important than being right, and he's 16, in a couple years he'll be out of that school.   

Well, your son is finding out what the consequences are when he shoots off his mouth on highly sensitive issues. Sure, we have free speech in this country, but stirring up trouble is not necessarily a part of that.

Schools have acquired new ammunition for disciplining disruptive students. There are reasonable ways of making a political point, but your son is up against a brick wall with his methods, sincere though they may be.

My advice: If you want to go to the wall with this, consult a lawyer. They'll either go to bat for you, or will advise you to pull in your horns, negotiate, and accept whatever compromise the school may offer.

Your trolling isn't improving with practice.

i dont think you were out of line, i think they were