I have windows 7 64 and would like to keep using it on the laptop that works great. Besides keeping McAfee active, what else should be done?

Hi. OK, lots of answers to expand on here :

1)  As long as Win7 does everything You

want to do now, it will continue to do it all later, except web-based stuff

, & without tracking You're every click of the mouse, ever.

2)  You're current system can be preserved as a virtual machine file, which can then be used just like Your current system is, forever. You can run this VM system underneath a Win10 OS, & just use the Win10 for online stuff, or as Your daily system while still not really leaving Win7 behind.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pc+to...

3)   If You do realize that "at some point" You might decide to do an upgrade to Win10, the odds are that MS won't be offering it for free forever. You should probably take advantage of the free offer while it's on, & do the upgrade once just to get a legit regcode on the dime You already paid for Win7, even if You don't use it everyday or just switch harddrives later back to Win7.

4)  Lastly, as one of My comments below mentioned - Firefox & Chrome on other OS bases. I personally have a computer with Win10 that was pre-installed, it was a Thinkcentre refurb I got for $69, & I bought another for My GF & Her kid at the time. I've been trying out linux distros for years, & when not gaming I use a burnable linux DVD as My daily OS & for ANYTHING online.

I have the distro on DVDs that boot, USB flashdrives that boot, & a few external harddrives that are now bootable because of it. The linux distros release new versions about every 6 months, & are fully updatable to the latest browser versions & addons for them, no cost incurred except a new blank DVD or some USB space.

When not online I unplug My ethernet cable so it won't update & start Win10 (which usually becomes useless again in about 20 minutes of projects for other people), then just pop the linux disc back in the drive & reboot. And as for viruses / malware I can reburn annew DVD in under a minute & be fully system restored, not like I've ever had to with linux, but there are also fully dedicated antivirus / SysTools linux distros as well.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=linux...

https://distrowatch.com/

Whatever You decide, however You do it, Keep win7 or not ...

G'Luck!!!

• keeping windows 7 64bit leads to vulnerable , because Microsoft stopped providing security updates.  So keep windows 10 1909 with Windows defender is enough

Using an unsupported OS is extremely risky and generally a no go for average users no matter what anti-virus you use.There are far more security risks than a virus that Windows update covers like hardware vulnerabilities, for example, that an anti-virus cant protect. Simply put, its time to say goodbye and move on to the latest version of 10. Its actually quite good once you tune it to taste. But it is no longer a choice unless you have money to burn on the more expensive option of extended support fees for 7.

• Just Wondering0001

You ALWAYS have a choice. I'll post a full answer.

Over the next few months expect to see more and more software no longer working on Win 7.  Since the specs for Win 7 and Win 10 are the same, you would be smarter to take advantage of the free update to Win 10 they are offering right now.  Rather than have to pay for it (and the damage that a virus does to your PC) a year from now.

Win 10 has been around long enough that they have resolved all the issue with it.  It is time to update.

• sirjester099

I think you post under multiple accounts to bash Windows 10 and it simply doesnt matter to most as most go on using it problem free

use a vpn and get a hardware firewall 7 is better than 10 anyway

• sirjester099

7 being better than 10 is your opinion!

Avoid using it to access any sites with sensitive information, such as online banking, if possible.

Don't be surprised when major software companies stop supporting Windows 7. Chrome and Firefox both no longer update on Windows XP or Vista, so 7 is only a matter of time as well.

• Just Wondering0001

ALWAYS good advice about the sensitive info sites. But Chrome & Firerfox DO update on other OS bases, see My full answer.

Nothing.  You can keep windows 7 so long as it continues to work for you.  All you will NOT get is the updates Microsoft used to keep on top of.  So, just be careful where you go and what y ou click on and you should be fine!  Create backup of everything if you can, set regular restore points, too. 

• Just Wondering0001

You COULD also keep Your existing syst
      em easily within reach, but still running under Win10 as a VM. See My answer.

Win7 is no longer supported.  You can still get Win10 free download and install so you are GOING TO HAVE TO GO THAT WAY.   DO IT.  You will not notice the difference.  You will be safer on the internet...with Windows 10

• sirjester099

Another one of his many names! You aren't changing anyone's mind with your pointless banter "Just wondering"

I would get rid of McAfee and use something like ESET NOD32 and malwarebytes. Good security practices are also key in making sure your system is secure. No antivirus/antimalware program is 100% effective.

Stay off Internet.

Or use Linux.

Or get a reflashable router and use VPN service.

In a while you will find some software under Win 7 will fail.

• Just Wondering0001

Most software You have now that works fine should remain fine. Just make sure You have the original install files for it in case they try to improve it to work with Win10 later.