Irs question?

Okay my husband and i go to H@R block we always file with them and have never had an issue. But a few months ago they are saying we owed 4000 dollars. We figured they would take the money out of what we get and we get the rest. But im not sure.. Can anyone tell me if this is right? We depend on the money coming back. I got a letter today saying we are paid off but nothing about the remaining amount so now im worried. Thanks

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There is no question here.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 1 month ago

Call 1-888 to the irs 

• 1 month ago

Without seeing the paperwork no one can give you a straight answer. Depending on a tax refund is a bad idea. Second,s top using those big chain services. They are FAR too expensive for what you get.

• Who
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Never start off assuming what you have been told is correct

(who is the "they" - H&R Block or the IRS?)

They say you owe 4k  -ask them WHY you owe it -

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If you owed $4000 and Block said you were paid off, then if you were getting a refund larger than $4000 the IRS will send you the remaining amount. But you don't say if you did get a larger refund--so don't EVER count on money you aren't absolutely certain you are owed. Without further details answering your question isn't really possible.

• 1 month ago

You wont be getting a refund until the irs gets money owed to them fist

• 1 month ago

H&R Block and any other tax return preparer can't promise you a refund. If you owe anything from last year and have a refund due for 2019 it will be applied to what you owe as of the date the return is processed by IRS or April 15, whichever is earlier.

• 1 month ago

If you owe $4000, then there is no money you get. You either owe OR get a refund, there is not both, unless you owe from a previous year.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I have no idea what you are asking about.  You need to explain the background a lot better than this.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

IF you OWE 4,000 there is no money coming back from which they can deduct it. You either get a refund (because you paid too much) or you owe (because you paid too little).

Can anyone tell you if this is correct? Yes, the person who prepared your taxes.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.