Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 2 months ago

Bandit motorcycle tipped over? Anything I should do to make sure it keeps running well?

Silly me, while doing a very slow speed turn ( a couple miles per hour ) sharply around a pillar in parking garage I paused as it tilted too far then I laid it down while running at a stand still. I turned off the engine within 5 seconds. Got it back up with a bystanders help and parked it in its parking spot a few feet away.  I didnt turn it back on as i thought it may be safer to let it sit for a while first.

Its a 2001 suzuki bandit 600, so a carbed motorcycle.

There was a tiny tiny bit of gas that started to barely leak from gas cap but not even enough to get on ground. No liquid of any kind is below it. It blew over once before ( ive only owned it used a few months so far ) during storm and was on its side for at least a few hours, but was off when it tipped then. Thankfully it started up and has been running great since.

Is there anything I should do to make sure it runs well after this evenings tip over while running? That it didnt - wont cause any engine, fluid issues?

If you chickened out after that, you shouldn't have a motorcycle. They fall down sometimes when you don't park them right . Use the kickstand correctly. Get some other riders show you how to not carelessly drop your bike. It will run OK.

Now that you have it upright, the problems have ended.  There is no lingering problem to be concerned with. None at all.  Most Bandits have AGM batteries and they do not leak, and even a standard acid battery will not leak more than a few drops, if any, in only a minute of being on its side.

Next requirement is to learn how to bring it upright by yourself, as every rider should be able to do that.

Usually the best way is to grab the handlebar with on hand and have the other hand grab behind the seat, while standing with your knees bent and your back towards the bike.

Straighten yourself up and the bike comes up with you.

If doing this from the right side of the bike, be sure you put the kickstand down before lifting it.  This will keep the bike upright after you ge it upright, and prevent a fall in the opposite direction.

If doing it from the left side then try to reach the stand when it is almost up, and press it down.. Once the stand is down, and clear from the surface, stand the bike on it.

• Ef Ervescence
      4 weeks agoReport

Anon...your comment is irrelevant  AGM batteries are closed and effectively sealed after their initial filling....with sulfuric acid....but they do not leak when turned on their side for a minute or two, no matter what bike they are mounted in ..

Stand it up. Leave it 2 minutes for the oil to run back. Start it.

• Jay P

Check for physical damage but at such a slow speed, there shouldn't be any issues.

I had an '06 Bandit 650 years ago and I remember one time I parked the bike on the side of the road/shoulder ( it was on a grade/angle which meant while standing on the side stand, it was still very upright ).  It was a very windy day and a wind gust actually pushed the bike over.  It broke the front turn signal but other than that, the bike was fine aside from a few scratches.  It started right up and ran normally.

OMG!  Junk that bike and buy a car that shouldn't tip over.

• Asker1 month agoReport

Ha!

Check  battery electrolyte, if a wet cell type. Check all fluids, and look closely for hidden damage--loose battery/ground  connections. My '06 FX wont run if tilted  over 45 degrees. Must right her and cycle ignition--your older 'sickle doesn't have this feature.

Some vehicles,  you might get oil  up in breather and blow smoke for a while, especially in a CA model.

• Asker1 month agoReport

Thanks.

• adam

No lie I have a dropped a bike or two at slow speed. I highly doubt anything is wrong. Have a look at the battery. 

Yeh... you should CHECK THE BATTERY. If it has a standard lead-acid it can dribble acid all over wires, paint, fuses, and all like that, and do a lot of damage. If there's a leak, take out the battery and clean up everything, including the battery box, with baking soda and water. The battery may be ok even if it has leaked a little. Refill as necessary.

• Anon

Now u Change your tune from:  "..standard lead-acid.." . All bike batteries Contain Sulfuric Acid Except Li-ions. It  just might not be possible to be normally  exposed to it in a sealed glass-mat or Ca grid. 

I guess you have not seen the motorcycle stunts when they are vertical or upside down and so on and they keep running. Doubt it will quit running from a tiny mishap.

• Tim D

Doubt there would be any issue, give the gear or brake control a check and the handlebar levers for straightness and or fractures, check the lights work and that the brakes function, then start it up and let it warm up, looking for smoke from the exhaust, if there is excessive white or blue smoke then you might have an issue.