Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

College question- should I do it or not?

The question doesn t pertain whether or not should I go to college- I m definitely going. The question is whether should I go out-of state or instate.

Alright so, there are only 2 universities in my state, so there s not many options for in-state tuition. The university closest to my home is in a really bad neighborhood. Actually, 2 people have been recently killed infront of this college due to gang related violence. I m really scared to go here, but it s the cheapest option for University for me. Plus, my parents want me to go here because it s super close to them and they re very over protective (my dad has a GPS on me at all times). I want to go out of state and follow my dreams of going to an HBCU, yet that requires me to go across the country.

I ve told my mom about this before and she was like "yeah, go for it". she didn t take me seriously, and when I showed her my acceptance letter, she got mad. Saying how "I wouldn t survive living on my own if I go", or "I m too shy to be able to live on my own"

Maybe the reason I am those things is because I m so sheltered?

What do I do, do I stay in state with cheap tuition so that I can stay close to my parents, or do I take the risk and finally get out on my own by going to an HBCU?

Living in a dorm on campus is one of the safest ways to experience a little more freedom than at home without being entirely on your own. You don't have anything like the responsibilities of renting an apartment. There are people who take care of the dorm facilities, people who prepare the food in the cafeteria- the only thing you have to do yourself is wake up in the morning and do your own laundry. Does your mother understand that about dorm living? If she never lived in a dorm, do you know someone who did who could talk to her about what it's like? 

go out of state there better

I think you should turn around and go to the cheapest, there us violence every where you go

Which is the more respected & better ranked school in your intended field of study? You need to go to the more highly regarded school.

You ALSO need to get away from overprotective parents - Smother-Mother & Super-Sire. Work on your adult-independence & self-care skills. Learn how to do your own laundry & ironing, household cleaning tasks, basic cooking skills, comparison shopping, managing/budgeting your money, getting around on your own (orienting skills), making friends & getting along with others, etc.

Overprotective parents who prevent social interactions with age-appropriate playmates interfere with developing age-appropriate social skills. So if this is the case, tell your parents they have caused your "shyness" & you are determined to overcome their interference in your proper social development. Therefore, they are forcing you to go away to college so that you learn to rely on yourself.

Has the HBCU offered you enough money to equal the cost of going to school in-state? If not, how are you planning to pay for that HBCU education, plus the cost of airfare back and forth six times a year? You need to have a serious talk with your parents about finances. You have a third option. Assuming that you live in a western state like Wyoming, you should check into the Western Undergraduate Exchange. It allows you to attend school in other western states at reduced tuition rates. Here's more information: https://www.wiche.edu/wue. If you don't live in one of these states, there may still be a program available to you. Look up "tuition reciprocity programs" plus the name of your state. I think Illinois is the only state that doesn't have a tuition reciprocity program with at least one other state. 

• drip

What state in the US has only two universities? 

If one of the two seems dangerous to you, go to the other one.

Go to the university that you will incur the least student loan debt,

If the HBCU gives you a decent financial aid package go there. Remember you must add on cost of transportation back and forth from school to home for breaks.

So you are shy. Plenty of new freshman are shy and are living from home for the first time. Most have never lived on their own.  Take the time to learn how to do your own laundry, take care of your health and eating habits, be organized.  

Hundreds and hundreds of new freshman have managed to make it through the year.  This is why you should live in a dorm and have a dining meal plan to eat. 

• drip

Your state only has two universities? Or only two public state universities 

Have you received your financial aid offers yet? It's possible that the out-of-state college won't cost that much more, if you get a good offer. 

Or consider a compromise: did you apply to and were you accepted to the in-state university that isn't so close to your house (and presumably in a better neighborhood)? It will cost more for housing but that's it. 

What I'd do is try to convince them to take you to a college visit at the HBCU, especially if there's some sort of "accepted students" event. Take the official tour and attend the official events. I mean, you should never attend a college sight-unseen anyway, so you're going to have to visit; just convince your folks to come along. Colleges are -pros- at making themselves appear to be the -only- college parents should ever consider sending their kids to, and getting parents to loosen their grips on their wallets. 

If it fails, however, and you're counting on your parents to pay for part of your college costs, I'm afraid you have to go where they're willing to pay. Even if you're not counting on your parents to pay, it's silly to go into huge debt to fund a private education when you have a cheaper option. 

• John

College aged young people are at a point in life where they have to make decisions based on what is right for them.  Sometimes, such decisions are not in keeping with their parent's wishes.  If you want to study in a different area, and can afford to do so, go for it.