onthe45 asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 month ago

What could my GP do to help me lose weight?

Are there any medications he can prescribe that help with weight loss?

I've heard of GPs offering free subscriptions to slimming world or weight watchers. As for medication, nope.

There is always the way that I am losing weight, 'less pies, more exercise'. I've lost a stone already.

• Wilma

You need to do weight loss through diet and exercise. Here are some tips. A serving of food is about a small handful of food. Not what you can pile in your hand. But a normal handful. That's any serving. Serving of meat vegetable or potato or rice. Whatever. It's best to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Before each meal, if you eat an apple you will not eat as much food. Apples very filling and have minimum calories. Another tip is carrots and cabbage are considered free foods because they have almost no calories. I like fried cabbage. (fry with no calorie cooking spray) You can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. It's tasty and has no calories. Just heat in the microwave and eat. As far as exercise if you take a 30-minute walk every day you will be surprised at how much good that will do.

• Tavy

No in the U.K., you will be told to diet.

The Doctor or Practicing Nurse (PRN) will tell you much the same as I do.

If the GP is "concerned", s/he might suggest a meeting with a Licensed Dietician.

You don't need a General Practitioner, (now called A Primary Care Physician, aka PCP)

Try this:

Just reduce the portions of what you eat by 33%,

Eat 4 meals a day

Weigh yourself ONCE a Week, (Daily weight varies by the hour).

Then adjust your eating portions accordingly.

Exercise: Just Walk three to ten miles a day, get & use a pedometer (5$).

• Tavy

We have GPS in the UK this site is international.

Maybe you should ask your Personal Trainer, not your GP