Major or small tax preparers?

For those who aren’t tax professionals.....

Do you go to:A local business?A major business like H&R Block?Or do you file on the IRS website?

I don’t want to pay too much, especially since my state offers free preparations for people who make under 65k; I want to go to someone who knows what they’re doing as opposed to someone who just learned last year. Last time I went to the free location with “volunteers” the lady had to keep asking for assistance. I had two W2s and I was driving for Lyft at the time. 

What are your experiences with previous tax preparers? What do you love about your current choice?

Any testimonies on filing through the IRS website?

The size of the firm means NOTHING. The people working at a booth in the grocery store with H&R Block on the sign have about 40 hours training, and are likely to be Lyft drivers by May. A local CPA can easily have more knowledge and experience than the whole lot combined.

Note: You can find online tax preparers through the IRS website, but you actually CAN'T file directly on the IRS website.

• Eva

Lyft requires a Schedule C and the volunteers are not trained to do that. The free sites do not offer the Schedule C option. H&R Block will rip you off and you have no idea how experienced the preparer is. There is a list of registered preparers and enrolled agents on the IRS website. You can search by zip code to find one in your area. The IRS website does not offer free filing. They give you a list of sites you can use.

• Amy

I do it myself on one of the FreeFile sites.

I don't have anything complicated like business expenses, so it's just a matter of following the instructions.

There are tax preparers at the franchise companies.  If you have nothing unique with your return, you can either go with them or do it yourself.

- these individuals tax a class that is about 2 weeks long to learn how to do taxes.

If you have complex situations, you may need a tax accountant (vs a tax preparer).

The free tax preparer programs are often operated by college students.  They already intended for complex situations.