Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

What does it actually take to raise a baby?

I don't want to add a ton of new stuff to my house just because we are introducing a baby. I believe in simple baby rearing but my family seems to struggle with this concept. This obviously excludes my husband who agrees with me and or has no idea what I'm talking about most of the time. For people who have had babies what kind of gear seemed useless after the fact or seldom-used. This is especially goes for large items like swings and Pack N plays. I know that I'm going to get a pack and play so other than that what are some thoughts?

• Edna

Must needs (for a new born):  A crib; nursing bottles; diapers (cloth or disposable, your choice); sheets and blankets for the crib (no pillows or bumpers); baby clothes in new-born sizes; a car seat; baby wipes; a diaper bag; baby lotion; baby soap. Nice to have: Plastic baby 'panties' to wear over the diaper, to prevent the baby from soaking up the crib while he's sleeping. 

Seldom used (or not used until the baby is a few months old): A changing table (you can use any flat surface to change a baby's diaper); a baby bath tub (you can bathe the baby in the kitchen sink if you have to); a play pen; a high chair; a pack-and-play; toys; a swing; a walker; a stroller. 

• Suzy Q
      2 weeks agoReport

It's actually scary, the outdated misinformation Edna routinely spreads. And then gets awarded best answer for. Crib blankets have been considered a safety hazard for years.

Actually SAFE options are (correctly) swaddling, baby sleeping bags, or simply putting baby in comfy PJs. 

• sarah

I would definitely recommend a playpen that has a changing table and a bassinet. And my daughter LOVED her swing; we used that thing almost nonstop until she was around four months old and I started really focusing on tummy time. Then, she got a walker when she was around five months, and that's probably the thing we've gotten the most use out of. She's nine months now and still loves it.

For my 1st baby I used:

Crib with Changer (some and a lot), swing, walker, highchair, pack and play, bumbo seat and probably something else I can't seem to remember right now. The whole crib thing is a joke in this house. He only slept in his crib maybe 6 or 7 months out of his 19 months of existence. Pack and play was the best thing. I honestly should have just gotten a mattress for it.

Baby #2 I use:

Bassinet (haven't even used her crib yet). Used a swing for maybe a month or 2 and just decided to get it out of the house. Walker, she's not fond of the bumbo seat, and I change her wherever I feel like doing so.

I'm not going to lie, my babies mostly sleep in my bed so the crib is basically useless to me. I want to use it though. The whole bed thing was an accident and now they won't leave. (No worries, I don't move in my sleep and I sleep on my side while holding the younger one.)

The whole swing thing with south for me once I had another baby. She got where she hated that thing so I quit using it. Bouncer on the other hand, is the best. She sleeps there more than she did the swing.

For my 1st baby I used a pack and play for the first 14 months of his life. I really used it during the last 2 months of my pregnancy when I stayed in so much pain.

Go basic essentials if that's how you want it. Nothing wrong with that. You'll also save money too. Since it's your first pregnancy, get the basic baby furniture you will need. If you're unsure about the swing, get a small one.

The stuff I used for my 1st child I'm not planning to use for my 2nd. Basic is really the best way to go. Saves space too.

The first thing I would say you will need is a lot of patience. And then 1 of those wind up swings is really good and a walker will be needed, a changing table, a baby bed, who knows what all you will need.

• GB

Have you seen a baby fall when they are learning to walk?  They  just tend to flop into a sitting position.  

Frankly, the things you hear about turn out to be necessary. Sorry.

I do think that people buy too much new baby clothes and you don't need so much. But you need the rest. 

Looking at the answers below, when people say they didn't need something, keep in mind that they may have more help than you will have, or they don't walk as much, or they mostly breastfeed. Your life may be very different.

Every parent has a slightly different style and will find certain things more useful than other things.

Here are my thoughts on some major items:

Crib - the baby does need someplace to sleep and I don't believe in the "family bed".  The mattress from the crib can be placed on a toddler bed frame - so the crib mattress will get at least three years of use.  

Car seat - this is a MUST.  Even if you don't have a car, you will end up in  a car with someone at some point and need a car seat for the baby.

Baby carrier - never had one.  I carried the baby - I didn't carry the baby in a baby carrier.

High Chair - not needed until around the age of eight months to one year old - but is a very useful item to make dinner time easier.  A good high chair can be used until about the age of two.  

Baby walker - people have mixed views on this one - but both of my little ones loved it and I used it daily.  I would put them in their walker and they would scoot around and follow me while I took care of daily housecleaning.  Actual use will be from about six months until about one year old - so really only three to four months of usefulness - but I still would get one again if I had another baby.

Baby swing - I was given one for my first baby - she loved it but outgrew it quickly.  I did not bother getting one for my second baby.  (I didn't keep the swing between babies - I gave it to another family member for their baby)  This is an item you really don't "need" and some babies actually hate them.

Baby stroller - I never had an actual stroller.  But I am also not the kind of person that goes for daily walks around my neighborhood.  If I had been, I would have wanted one.  I did have an umbrella stroller - and I mean the most basic of cloth based, fold-up style umbrella stroller.  It was great for trips to parks or to the zoo or out to watch the annual parade at our hometown fair.  

Diaper Bag - never had one.  I hate most diaper bags.  Instead, I found a nice gym bag with lots of compartments and used that as a diaper bag.   Then after the baby was old enough that I didn't need to carry tons of things with me for them, the bag could be used for other things.  (Including used to pack clothes for a sleepover when the children became older and started going to friend's houses overnight - you can't do that with their "diaper bag". )

Play pen - never had one.  I think these have been renamed and re-branded, but the concept is still the same - an enclosed space to keep baby in so you can do other things.  I used the baby walker and watched my child instead of wanting any kind of "play pen" to keep them in.  If I truly needed them "penned up" for a few minutes, I would put them in their bedroom with a door gate.  (their room was a completely safe space with nothing they could get hurt on)  

As for things like clothes and bottles and blankets or bedding - you kind of get a feel for that as you go.  Babies will outgrow clothes quickly, so you really just need enough to be able to change them if they need it for things like leaky diapers or spitting up on themselves.  On an average day, baby might need three changes of clothing for things like that.  On a good day, you will only change baby twice.  So, how many clothes you have can be based on how often  you want to do laundry.  (I had about 24 changes of clothes in a mixed variety of sleepers, dresses, and little sweat pant outfits - I had daughters)  For bottles, I had about 16 in a mix of 4 ounce and 8 ounce sizes.    I did not breast feed and I would make up a 24 hour supply of formula measured out into bottles based on how much the baby would usually drink at a feeding.  For bedding, I had three fitted sheets for the crib mattress and several baby blankets.  

If I didn't list something, I probably didn't have it and never even considered needing it.  "Changing tables" were a big deal at one time in the past.  I never had one and didn't miss it.  

There are so many things that a baby outgrows so quickly that you really need to exam cost versus usefulness versus how often you think you will use it.  The baby won't remember if they had those things or not so if you can live without using it and it doesn't impact the safety of the baby, then you probably don't need it.  

Re: equipment, all you really need are a safe place for the child to sleep, and a car seat.

What you might like to have:

A swing (one of our daughters absolutely loved it)

Exersaucer (one of our daughters wanted to be upright all the time and absolutely loved it)

Pack-n-Play (as you mentioned)

You need a basic amount of clothing - onesies are really handy, and some sleepers. If your baby is a spitter, you will need enough to keep him or her in clean outfits in between laundry.

• edward

A million bottles. We only needed maybe 5. We don’t need the insane amount we have. Baby shoes. He didn’t walk, he doesn’t need the shoes, they’re spotless, i could return them for store credit if i could get away with it. Pacifiers. My son only took one kind of pacifier when he was younger. The clear green ones they give for free at the hospital, he didn’t like the other ones we had at home. Cloth diapers, never used them because we’re stupid and don’t know how to.only the little things are what we never used

A baby swing,playpen,mats,and bottles,balankets and toys. 

Crib changing table.