Can I sue this company for not refunding me my money? ?

So a couple months back my dad went to this place where you pay and they give you classes and teach you how to drive a semi-truck, he paid $1,000 for the program but the classes didn’t start when they said they would because they didn’t have enough instructors. Now my dad wants the money back and they told him he singed the paper, the paper just says, “no refunds  of any of the enrollment payment or payments, whether students start or does not starts the program, no exceptions”. Now I get it if we cancel or never attended the classes but he wasn’t at fault, and the contract does not specify what happens if they never gave you the classes because of their own fault for not having instructors, he said he wasn’t the only one who didn’t get the money back,  I know for sure if this goes to court the judge can see this as stealing money from people. Could I go to a lawyer, could they reach a settlement where they refund us the money just to not go to court? 

I would have your father contact other individuals who experienced this same Injustice. Although I do understand the refund policy because it's pretty clear, it says nothing about cancelled classes or classes that are rescheduled. If the contract has a start date for the classes and an end date for the classes and they did not start on time, your father and everybody else are entitled to refunds. Regardless of their refund policy.

Perhaps if your father and the others can get a lawyer to write a very Stern letter stating that unless money is refunded there will be a class action suit, this might coax the trucking company to write a couple of refund checks.

Sue all you want. You will lose. as the paper said NON REFUNDABLE

• Oscar2 months agoReport

Stfu David 

A lawyer would charge you more than $1,000 to take it to court. But if they ripped off a lot of people there may be hope for a class action suit. You can try to check with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Trucking driving school scams are apparently quite common.

Unless the contract specifies WHEN the classes will start, if they are offering to teach him when enough students enroll, they can probably refuse to give a refund. The reason is they have a 'reasonable' amount of time to begin classes before they have breached the contract.

If a start date was in the contract, and/or they delayed an 'unreasonable' amount of time, he likely has a winnable case.

• Oscar2 months agoReport

Yes the contract states the clases were gonna start December 09, 2019 and they didn’t, 2 weeks after he went there asking and they told him to wait another 2 weeks because they were on vacation, that’s already a month, he moved on to other things.  

If he signed agreeing to no refunds, then he can't get a refund. Unless of course they never offer the classes. Then THEY are in breach of contract.

• Oscar2 months agoReport

Yes the contract states the classes were gonna start 12/09/19 and end in February, 2020, they didn’t start on that date, they wanted him to wait a month, and that’s when he asked for the money back because he wasn’t gonna be there waiting for them.

• xyzzy

You can't sue as you have no standing with the case. Your dad would have to sue and based on what you have said he would most likely win. Actually if he has a lawyer send the company a damand letter they will most likely refund the money.

you can't sue, but your dad might have a case

The contract states "no refund, no exceptions."   I doubt the judge will see this as "stealing money from people."  Your daddy signed the contract which clearly states "no refunds."

• Oscar2 months agoReport

Well they signed the contract too, stating they were gonna give him the classes 12/09/19 and they didn’t. That right there it’s violating the contract. 

• Eva

Yes, but you'll pay at least half of it to the lawyer.

research the laws and decide