How do I check the next character of a string from a file in Python?

Basically I need to replace a character (&) in a file with &. I have managed to do this by checking if '&' exists in the file or otherwise. However, I just realized that in the same XML file, it contains ', which is a single quote. Hence, I need to figure out a way to check if the ampersand, & has a '#' after it. If it does not, only then I will replace the character. Any ideas on tackling this problem?

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Nobody seems to want to tell you that Python has a regular expression module in its standard library.  If you're going to do this all from scratch,  that's the way to go.

Are you sure that &#nn; decimal codes are the only HTML character entities used?  The normal way to represent an an ampersand in HTML is &amp; and the XML uses the same syntax.  An XML file needs to encode any < as &lt; (or &#60; or &#x3C;) and any > as &gt; (or &#62; or &#x3E;).  A quote character used in a tag attribute may also need to be encoded as a &blah; entity.

A ' single quote (aka "apostrophe") is &apos; or &#39; or &#x26;.

A " double quote (aka "quote") is &quot; or &#34; or &#x22;.

The full-tilt expression to match an & that's NOT part of a HTML or XML character entity is easier to see if you look at what *is* a character entity.  It's basically an '&' and a ';' pair of characters with one of (1 or more letters, a '#' followed by 1 or more decimal digits, or a '#x' followed by 1 or more hexadecimal digits.

The regex is to match for search and replace is:

pat = r'&(?!(([a-zA-Z]+)|(#[0-9]+)|(#[xX][0-9a-fA-F]+));)'

The leading & is the only thing matched.  The (?!...) group that follows is a "negative lookahead", matching what came before only if the ... stuff inside does NOT match.  Inside that group is ((...)|(...)|(...)) matching one of the three options above (all letters, # then digits or #x and hex digits) and a final ; to match at the end of the lookahead.

Use that in a Python program by:

import re # you need this at the top

new_text = re.sub(pat, '&#38;', old_text)

If you are quite sure that &#38; is the *only* context where you don't want to replace the ampersand with an entity, then the pattern is much simpler:

pat = r'&(?!#38;)'

Use it the same way as above.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

One way to consider is if you have good reason to believe something unusual will NOT be in the file.

For example "[QQ]".  You could replace all "&#" with that string.  Then do the replace that you want, and then replace "[QQ]" with "&#".

You can check for "[QQ]" first, and if that's found, use "[ZZ]" instead, or whatever you think would be unlikely.  

• 2 months ago

I wouldn't use python in the first place to be honest with you. I'd just sed or vim with regex. The regex being what's used to ensure you only pick & such that no # follows.

However, I would like to ask, in theory, your file should either be decoded (i.e. it's &, ', etc.) or encoded (i.e. it's &#38;, &#39;, etc.). I.e. not a jumble of both.

If it isn't a jumble of both, you could just map all &#38;, etc. to their appropriate values and not worry about running into a lone & because no lone & should exist, & would always appear as &#38;.

Also surprised you didn't just google for a standard decode() function of some existing library. This feels so common a problem that the standard library would solve it.

• husoski
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Interesting idea, but sed won't work.  It's RE syntax doesn't have negative lookahead groups.  Don't know (or much care) about vim.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.