Anonymous

Should I wait to go to college?

So my family wants me to go to college to get a general degree as soon as I get my ged which should be soon. The problem is next year I plan on visiting canada for a few weeks and I was wondering how that would work. Like are you allowed to leave college for weeks at a time??

• Kate

Many people take a Gap Year before starting College of Uni. Taking a gap between school and college can give you the chance to get some other experiences and consider what are of study you really want to do. Lots of people change their minds and I think it is better than just going straight into college and studying the wrong thing.

Visit Canada during the summer so you will not miss classes.  Unless you can get 100%, all of the time even without studying, do NOT miss classes.

Waiting can’t hurt, im 60 and think I’ll wait a bit longer before I go 

You should wait until it is YOU, rather than your family, who are interested in attending classes and developing more academic knowledge and skills.  As others have noted, most colleges don't take attendance (but some professors do).  They will refuse to give you the course content or accept late assignments for what you missed. Missing two consecutive weeks would make it difficult to do well in a course.  Colleges also have some pretty big vacation breaks.  If you have flexibility in your Canada visit, there's no reason you couldn't do it during a school holiday.

All that noted, college isn't daycare for adults. If you don't have a desire to learn about a specific topic that will advance your life in some way, then why bother?  

• cool

Wait and see what kind of work you want, then start applying for apprenticeships.

If you can get apprenticeships easily, then college will be feasible (but still expensive).

There are usually 3 semesters in a year. And many people don't go in the summer semester. So if you want to go to canada in the summer you can.

• John

I have to second the answers which say this is a bad idea.  You should have 3 to 5 weeks between the Fall and Spring semesters.  Go then if you want, or wait until summer.

• DON W

You can sometimes miss a week of college classes without negative results, but more than that and you're unlikely to pass your classes.  Most classes do take attendance, and if you're out for multiple weeks you will be unlikely to learn all of the material you'll need in order to pass the class.

Since you're going for a GED rather than a high school diploma, I'm guessing there's already some aspect to your previous education that you've not mentioning.

I'm also guessing that you're looking at a community college, since it's already becoming too late to apply for the fall at most US 4-year colleges.

In short, go to Canada or go to college, trying to do both in the same semester is a very poor idea.

If you're going to leave college for weeks at a time, it makes more sense to save your money and wait a semester or wait a year. Or visit Canada during the summer when the climate is better.

you need to ask the college this question, i would just try to visit canada before you go to college